Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
he is at a shop right now trying to get his car started but it wont start. the air box and intake manifold are warm but the exhaust and engine are cold. sounds like it has no compression and it keeps burping. pushing smoke out of the air box aswell. timing belt is spinning the right way and he is mobile so he cant get on here to check for answers. please if u guys have any ideas let me know so i can give him a call and try to help him out. im thinking maybe the timing is off a little? not sure which motor knowing him ide say a b7 or a6.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Just got off the phone with him. Damn he's pissed!!! But it might be the timing. Now that I think about it, I had a similar problem when I changed my head gasket. I'll give him the suggestion.

And its a B7 motor but he doesn't know what I'M it is. He sent me a pic of a coolant line that needs to go to the IACV but he doesn't have the same I'M as me. Not sure which one but I'll try to help him find out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
he is at a shop right now trying to get his car started but it wont start. the air box and intake manifold are warm but the exhaust and engine are cold. sounds like it has no compression and it keeps burping. pushing smoke out of the air box aswell. timing belt is spinning the right way and he is mobile so he cant get on here to check for answers. please if u guys have any ideas let me know so i can give him a call and try to help him out. im thinking maybe the timing is off a little? not sure which motor knowing him ide say a b7 or a6.
is it puffing out the intake manifold?
timing might be 180 off

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that was my suggestion. he said it is a b7 block and an a6 head with a6 cam and the timing belt from a b7 those are the same belt regardless right an a6 and b7? i was thinking it sounds 180 out or for some reason unknown to the honda gods the valves are staying open to long on the intake side.

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i need to ask him if he is running an a6 or b7 dizzy. and is there a reason y he would need to run the a6 belt since he has the a6 head? im told it is a meer differance in deck height but i want to make sure before i call him again.

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just checked on advanced autos website for th ediference in part numbers between an a6 and b7 belt they do not shar e the same part numbers so i think he has the wrong belt and is out of time.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
hmmm has it ever ran..?? or is this the first start-up?? its not hard to confuse tdc to be 180 degrees off... take timing belt off, rotate the crank 180 degrees, and try again... but do what the other guy said.. switch plug wires on the dizzy to see if its 180 degrees off... switch #4 and #1 and then #2 and #3

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Looks like this is gonna have to continue on monday. He's gotta work tomorrow. He's gonna need to be cheered up though. I say we pay pal him some $$$$ for a bottle of grey goose. Sound good?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
shit, how bout you all paypal me some moneys so i can get some greygoose lol.... acually nah im good, rough night last night, woke up and didnt even know i was sleeping in some chicks house... usually dont have hang overs, but this shit was baddd lol

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
It's that time again
MAIN ONE IZ A CIVCSI
5,369 Posts
all stock head i thought there was something weird he had to do with the cam.
well.... iirc he'll need the y7/8 cam gear for it to be timing right
if its still not starting maybe do a comp test
i take it he's getting spark n fuel?

not having a y7/y8 cam gear will not cause it to not run. mine ran with the stock cam gear.
timing has to be 180 out imo i would reverse the wires first before anything
i know that but if he's off timing already it def would not start

idk tho.....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts