Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i changed my right rear caliper today, my old one had locked up.i have a 95 ex coupe with abs, as far as i know the abs only matters to the fronts. My question is, after i have everything back together, i bled that caliper untill no bubbles, but now the rotor isnt spinning freely, almost like its locked down on it, the pedal is also mushy. maybe it just needs a few miles to adjust and release slightly idk, but i know the caliper piston was moving due to the bleeding process. should i maybe bleed it out while the car is running?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Sounds like the ebrake cable on that side might be stuck.

Does it still lock up when the ebrake cable is completely unhooked?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I think that was part/or the cause.of the original caliper locking up on me. And has since been cut on that side, so Idk

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
for starters its best to change in pairs! if you have 1 fails its only a matter of time before the other gives out.....just some words of advice.....now when you put the caliper on did you make sure the the caliper bracket was not touching the rotor? if you got a complete caliper "assuming its a new/reman" then you might have to use your old bracket with the new caliper. ive had to do this on a couple o' casions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got a used working caliper not a remanufactured, the buCket is not touching BTW, I'm join it just needs.a.few.miles to wear the pads down slightly, u think bleeding the brakes with car on might help at all?

·
Registered
66 Posts
man know exactly where you are.. i got both calipers if you want both if that doesnt work out.. and all new pads.. but yea try the old bracket in there..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
old bracket is there, not worried about doing both just need it to last the winter, I also have a.new ebrake cable for.that side to that needs installed yet

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
iI only backed the caliper piston down enough to fit over the pads tho
You have to twist and push the piston in not just push it. If you just pushed it in you probably ruined the caliper.

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
you're not supposed to be able to just push it in lol. so if he pushed it in then someone is roid packed to hell and back

·
Registered
86 MR2
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
on the last bleed through i bled it, then built pressure up and left it, it has to be all connected. mushy pedal, ebrake tension is back(only one side hooked up) and that caliper/pad combo is tight and not so free. before i changed the caliper the brakes werent mushy, maybe my helper wasnt pumping the brake up hard enough? lol i just hiope it doesnt turn out to be a pain in the dick

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
you're not supposed to be able to just push it in lol. so if he pushed it in then someone is roid packed to hell and back
It's not that hard to do. I've seen it many times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok thanks for all the comments guys, its a work in progress. today i went out tried to replace the rotor retainer screw(didnt go so well) and i noticed that one of my bolt ends on the caliper bracket was rock hard and not moving. there werent any retainer screws in the rear rtors for some reason when i changed them, brakes were working fine then, but after i replaced them a few months ago, thats when that caliper started messing up. maybe a combo of a loose rotor and frozen bracket sleeve is the culprit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts