Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention fellow head builders, Porter's and Machinest's!! BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER!!

I cannot believe how many times I hear the same old questions being asked about head and intake manifold porting over and over! If you are planning to port your head and make some modifications to the intake manifold in order to help your engine breath better, then I highly recommend you start reading as much information as you can get your hands on.

Here is a good place to start:

Dart Explains How Intake Port Volume Affects Performance - Dragzine.com

I found these articles to be very informative and pretty easy to understand. Getting to know the principles of air flow and how the engine operates using these priciples will help you realize some very amazing gains in the performance of your motor. If anyone finds some good reading material regarding this subject, please contact me via a PM or email. Maybe we can gather enough "GOOD" information to actually start a small library on Engine Building and Performance.

·
Registered
1988 Civic DX 4DR
25 Posts

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
airflow is always something that needs research. good job on the post.

although perhaps another engine style/family, the basics still apply.

·
Formerly weebeastie
936 Posts
Buh. That's V8 talk. None of those dinosaurs know anything about modern, Honda engines.

*tongue in cheek*
Lies, lies I tell you!!!!

If you want to study V8 guys that have it going on go here: Air Flow Research

Specifically their new raised runner heads. V8's are definitely a different beast from a multivalve per cylinder inline engine, but either way they're all just large air pumps.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Buh. That's V8 talk. None of those dinosaurs know anything about modern, Honda engines.

*tongue in cheek*
Ford Mod engines are just like Honda's.....The new 5.0L even more so.

If you want to study V8 guys that have it going on go here: Air Flow Research
My buddies 8.7:1 5.0L engine made 351RWHP/410RWTQ
N/A using their street 185cc Windsor heads.

And that's an engine built for boost :TU:

It's going to go wild once the centrifugal is stuck on.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is also the intake chapter of "4 stroke performance tuning" by Bell, I've read it a couple times and it has some pretty clear info. I'll see if I can't find an online copy somewhere

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
i'm glad someone finally post this information.....

you know i'm more into domestic power than imports, and all you ever hear about in the domestic communities is flow rates and port volume, i have never seen flowbench numbers on a D series head, however i would be VERY surprised if speedfactory doesnt flow their heads.

some people are still willing to pay 3x what a head is worth because its been "ported" which means what, its gasket matched, probably poorly, and will make LESS power than an OEM casting...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I go for air speed. Unless it's turbo then I just hog it out shotgun style! lol

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Hogging out a port, even for a turbo application, is idiotic.

Most people who drive Hondas are idiots who have no idea about engines. Guys who drive V8 domestics that at least read the rags get much better info from REAL engine builders. There are some 2 valve V8 builds that would absolutely shock the )(#$)(#*$ out of Honda guys with how efficient the engines are.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Ya seeing as how most Honda heads do just fine with a simple clean up. No need to hog out. Especially when not running FI.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
i'm glad someone finally post this information.....

you know i'm more into domestic power than imports, and all you ever hear about in the domestic communities is flow rates and port volume, i have never seen flowbench numbers on a D series head, however i would be VERY surprised if speedfactory doesnt flow their heads.

some people are still willing to pay 3x what a head is worth because its been "ported" which means what, its gasket matched, probably poorly, and will make LESS power than an OEM casting...
Some flow numbers have been posted, the EXACT details were never given but the current customer was very happy after retuning because things got lean after the head swap.

The info is on here, but have fun searching my posts for it :) You'd have better luck searching the current owners posts who is selling the Snot Rocket.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hogging out a port, even for a turbo application, is idiotic.

Most people who drive Hondas are idiots who have no idea about engines. Guys who drive V8 domestics that at least read the rags get much better info from REAL engine builders. There are some 2 valve V8 builds that would absolutely shock the )(#$)(#*$ out of Honda guys with how efficient the engines are.
I know, I'm just making fun. The misinformation that comes from this site and ht and many like it on head porting, I find funny. I hear all the time, volume over speed when running boost blah blah blah. This thread and a few other make sence, but alot of the stuff I read is repost wrong info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts