Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I swapped a D16Z6 that was previously mated to a manual into my car and hooked it up to my B7 auto tranny.

The car also isn't going into gear at this point, even after making sure that the shift cable is properly attached. It shouldn't need to be adjusted because the mounts for the transmission are all the same. When I try to put in in any gear the speedo reads between 5 and 10mph and I can hear a slight tapping/grinding noise... like two gears are barely brushing against each other... every so often.

Anyone ever have this problem? I've gotten the car to more or less run right... now I just need to make it move.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're refering to the kick down cable on the pully? At first I just swapped the pulley... then later I swapped the whole TB because of sensor problems.

The short answer? Yes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone?

I got it to go into reverse once last night after adding tranny fluid. (It's full now.) But as soon as I tried to put it in drive it slipped back out again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was about to pull the tranny back out again... (regretfully) and I realized while removing the drive side of the transaxel that it was not in all the way... when I pulled it out the very end of it was worn a bit. Thats when I realized that the grinding sound had been from the end of the axel just barely making contact with the final drive. And since it had rounded in one direction, it was able to go into reverse (one time at least), but when I tried to put it in drive it slipped again.

Think of it like a screw driver that has a soft tip, and it got stipped in one direction... so it slips when turning one way, but grips like hell going the other. Same principal.

So after inspecting it further I put everything back together being extra careful to make sure that it was properly assembeled this time. (My freind actually did the axel installation initially.) And I was so pleased to find that it worked beautifully.

Now I just need to get the valves tightened (it sounds kinda weird) and I should be good to go!

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
Awesome, hurry up and get those valves set

Also, come to kirkland saturday night (if you're 21 or older)...come have some brew

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I didn't see this until just now!
And actually... to my dismay... I was driving the car home from work the day before yesterday and it overheated. For some reason the fan never came on!

Now it had a knock and I wanna cry. This sucks so freakin bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts