Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. as the title says.. I'm at a crossroads.. I'm looking for ppls opinions on what they would do.. also here to gauge interest in parting out or selling whole.. or if I should keep it..

So, I have an EG hatch that I've got over 20k into over the last 5ish years and I need to rebuild the motor.. I don't really have the funds to do so but it's not to say that I couldn't come up with the money at some point..
The motor in it currently, I bought for $900 fully assembled by Performance Automotive in Bethalto, IL but, since I didn't have them build it my self, another member on here had it built, and I bought it from said member, they will not help me in any way..
It is a Y8 block with:
Z6 crank
ACL race bearings
Eagle Rods
Wiseco Pistons/rings

The head is:
PPorting worked Y8 head, full valve train upgrade, Z6 stock cam. purchased for $800 from Lou who had it done several years ago but just shelf'd it until I bought it. It actually came with a Bisi Y8 cam but it was busted in the head from shipping, I guess.

When I went to tune it on the dyno, it started smoking horribly before it ever got to making power.
I know that I have shit compression/massive leakdown on cylinder 4. I haven't torn it apart to see what the issue really is but I'm guessing it was poorly machined/gapped. But, who knows at this point, it could be anything.

The thing is.. This is the 2nd motor I put into it.. before I had a Z6 that I blew up.. I was doing some tuning for MPGs, created a secondary map to auto switch to for MPG vs HP.... Some how I disabled rev limit :whistling:.. did a full throttle shift some days later @ about 147mph in 4th to 5th.. melted cyl 4 exhaust valve and later found out I also blew the rings.. (After parting out my Z6 head that had over sized supertech valves/springs/retainers for $300 and buying the Y8 head listed above.)

I also parted out the Z6 block (original motor, eagle rods/crank/wiseco pistons) got 3-4hundo out of it.. so the block I have now only cost 500-600.. I could probably part it out for 3-400 (rods/pistons/crank).. And I'm eyeballing thegreenteam's block/parts he has for sale.. ($1,050)
If I bought that, I'd just want to come up with the $1,2-$1,300 that RCAutoworks would want to do final machining and assemble it.

On the other hand.. I could probably part everything out and get 4-ish grand for it all.. maybe..
there are just under 10k miles on
koni yellow/ GC coilovers
949 racing 6ULs/ khumo 225/45/15's
sparco Fighter front seats
go-auto ramhorn, 3inch DP, intercooler piping
HKS blowoff
Tial 38mm wastegate
profec-bspec 2 EBC
bullseye S256 (small housing, ~500hp)
ID 1000's
ATI super damper
Demon/Neptune RTP
quaife LSD in 95si transmission
Gator Racing axles
disc rears
rywire harness
all the standard suspension component upgrades..
ARP extended stud front hubs with brand new timken bearings..
exospeed 3 piece front end
etc etc..
about what you'd expect to spend 20k on.. including 2 motors, 2 heads, machine work, misc. stuff, etc.

And then, there's the crossroads I'm at with life as a whole..
I just finished 2 years of probation 3 months ago, finished college last month (for now), broke up with my girlfriend of 4.5 years last month.. And to top it off, yesterday I found out the shop I'm working at is closing it's doors in 3 months... I don't really have any "extra" money, nothing saved.. but I also have no problems paying my bills, currently..
My schooling is in renewable energy but, I'm pretty sure I'd end up moving cross-country for a renewable energy job (solar panel installation, wind generator technician) because there really isn't much here in IL.. nor do I feel very attached to IL..

This is mostly me just writing it all out.. sound-boarding.. getting it out of my head and onto "paper"..

It seems like, as much as I don't want to sell this car... I probably just need to continue with my life's current theme of cutting away all the excess/ freeing myself from all major, life controlling circumstances... and sell the car..

sorry to waste your time if you read all of this LOL but if you have any thoughts you'd like to share, I'm all eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
As far as the car goes what are you leaning towards doing? Oh and the green laterns block is sold.
I think if you rebuild and drive the car, you'll enjoy it all over again. If you do sell, make sure %110 that's what you want to do.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Why is a stock engine not an option for a while and why don't you have one as a spare already?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Being stripped naked and starting over is fine, but dont sell the car. Do like what is said above and get a stock motor to get good mileage on and move out west were the renewable jobs are, find a cheap place with a garage and get back to it.

Sell your crap, not the things that define you, the crap. If the car fits in that realm fine, but really you need transportation, and you need a hobby, tying them together saves time and money, now the job is all you need to worry about.

Sell you shit, pack a bed, clothes an memorable's in a uhaul, with trailer for the whip, and gooooooo. Just remember you will get there and still be with you, so if you are running from feelings it wont work.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
If you have a place to store it that isn't gonna cost you anything, put it up on jack stands throw a car cover over it and when ya get to it, you get to it.

Keep your head up, it'll all work out eventually

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I'd agree with keeping the car, as long as it is in good shape (no rust, no big dents, missing panels, etc). A cheap motor can be had to get it back up and operational at least; but I agree with keeping the car as least.

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm definitely not running from anything.. nothing to run from! haha. It's just a new chapter in my book..

I'm not worried about tossing in a stock motor cuz I have a 95 Ranger as a daily.. and, now that I think about it, I do have free storage until September..

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Honestly the only thing in this that caught my attention is moving across country for a solar panel job? I know a guy that got into that whole solar panel job thing and it was kinda miss leading. Just saying....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not cross country.. to Iowa, in all likelihood.. as a start.. from Chicago.
And I know what it's all about, I know what it pays.. it's not that great.. but it's something I'm passionate about... Sustainability/renewable energy as a whole..

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Ill give you my take on this situation that i just went through in my life.

I had my turbo crx for about 9 years, went through 7 engines and three transmissions. the last two of those engines were fully built blocks that grenaded all within a two year period.

my first engine was fine until the AFR's leaned out in a pull and it broke all of the ring lands on the pistons under 1k miles. the last engine had less than 3000 miles on it when it blew a head gasket at the track and warped the head and block. I then removed the engine, tore it completely down machined the head/block put it back together and then spent another 1k on an hx35/hx40 turbo and blew another headgasket three days later only to find out that one of the headstuds in my block had pulled the threads out and caused me to blow the headgasket. Considering that the car could not be legally smogged in california and the possibility of the car being impounded if i ever got pulled over i decided to sell it. Every once in awhile i think about what would have happened if i didnt sell it, and i remember that it probably would have grenaded again and became a boat anchor or worse gotten impounded.

But because i sold that car, i was able to buy a 66 rambler for 500$. Legally in california i can have whatever i want in that car and not have to worry about it being impounded. I found a chevy 4.8 engine/trans on craigs for 600$ in running condition out of a wrecked silverado and a ford 8.8 out of an explorer for 300$. Im only about 1k away from a running vehicle that is much more adaptable and capable than my honda ever could have been.So while i dont miss the problems let alone the "scene" that came with my honda, ill never forget the fun i had or the great people i met while building it like many of the members on d-series.

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Put her away get another daily if possible and try not to" Because Racecar" it trust me I'm going threw a similar struggle with my 79 Z28 is my when I want power and its hard as hell not to sell that and dump those funds into my daily (CX, EK ) you need to think about what draws you to that car trust me funds aren't easy to come by, but learn from all the old timers buying back what they once had . You can learn from that save yourself the headache now. If you can sell off some of the goodies start fresh go in a new direction . Its a Honda the Legos of cars ! take it apart build it a different way.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Eh, I sold my ED hatch that I poured money and time into. I do miss it occasionally, but I don't regret selling it. Somebody else is enjoying it more than I had been for the last couple of years of ownership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts