Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive never really assembled my own engine and i am about to this weeked. i have someone who is going to help me and hes done many motors but i dont believe hes ever done a honda.

the engine:
d16a6, eagle rods, vitara pistons, hastings rings, acl standard main/rod bearings.

i know the engine is that last thing you should skimp on but my question is if i have to get different sized main bearings would i be better off just leaving the crank in the block and just use the acl rod bearings on the eagle rods? is that asking for trouble. the motor probably has close to 120k on it. but didnt knock before it was put under the knife.

guy also didnt know what i meant by filing the rings, is this absolutely neccesary? im gonna read up as much as i can.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Lol, wow if dude doesn't know about ring filing and / or setting ring gap then I wouldn't let him touch my engine. And if the engine is apart then plastigauge / replace the bearings.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha crap...

·
11,892 Posts
haha crap...
It's not bad dude. Putting an engine together isn't hard. You just have to make sure you do everything right.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i hope. im trying to get a check list going and i might just do this all myself instead of having him help.

to do:
ring end gaps, set position gap
plastigauge all bearings
torque accordingly

tools needed:
torque wrench
plastigauge
ring compressor

another dumb question, i can use one of those pocket knife style spark plug gap readers for the ring gap right?

ive been scouring h-t all morning for honda related engine building tips but what sucks about h-t is that everyone has a different way that contradicts the others yet EVERY one of them is "correct."

DOH!

·
11,892 Posts
another dumb question, i can use one of those pocket knife style spark plug gap readers for the ring gap right?
I have never heard of anyone doing that (not saying it's wrong), I used a set of feeler gauges though.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i might just have to wait an extra week and buy all these tools. dug out my 96-00 haynes manual and it has a good amount of info.

only problem is that im reading that the way haynes says to position the ring gap in the cylinders is not the best and that the positions JE suggests are better.

what to go by... hmm gonna try searching sites like endyn for more precious info.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
90 hatchback
37 Posts
first thing buy a good book.indexing and gapping rings,tourqe specs,bearing sizes,proper assembly lube,when and where to use sealant.if you havent at least researched this a little bit you should wait,or i hope your buddy knows what he is doing.good books honda factory service manual.haynes manual.honda builders handbook(old but very informative).good luck.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a haynes and i have reasearched. i plan to buy the tools needed and do it myself as stated above.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
clearances and ring gaps are necessary on ANY motor, if your friend has done lots he should know this...
so my eagles came today, and i brought everything to him and showed him and made me feel better by not dickin me around today and he showed me all his tools. he has plastigauge, a feeler gauge, cylinder hone, ring compressor, torque wrench and what not... all the goodies. which makes me confident. hopefully the ACL standard bearings i have spec out and then my bottom end will be completely done. then its on to the head :)

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Okay, sounds better now...but you should still do some research and give him the ring clearances and tolerances that YOU want.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was pretty much just going to follow the tolerances/specs my haynes manual says for 96-00 d16y7. any see a problem with that?

·
11,892 Posts
GL with the build dude. IMHO, I would never let anyone else touch my engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts