Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So do I have to buy the ASR brace or will any brace do. It seems awfully pricey for a chunk of metal. I'm putting on the front and rear Suspension Techniques sway bars, I'm assuming they will work with the brace? Just looking for a little more information.

-TAG

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
It definately wouldnt hurt to put that on there with those swaybars. think if it as extra insurance in case you did have subframe issues.

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definitely going to get a brace, even though it's a rust free car still makes mounting it easier and looks nicer, but can I get the no name brace?

-TAG

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Most braces don't have the swaybar mounting points.
The S/T kit comes with Swaybar mounting Hardware. I used it with a Focuz Rear bar for 1 year with no problems. Then, I used the S/T Mounts with an ITR Bar with no issues for 2 years. Here is a picture of that setup.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2861

When I switched to Autocross slicks, I decided that I wouldn't take any risks with my subframe and I upgraded to the ASR.
The ASR is very well made, and I HIGHLY Recommend it.
If you haven't purchased your S/T Bars, DON'T DO IT... The front bar design hangs really low and prevented me from going into some car washes...
You should put an OEM 24mm integra bar on the front (Junkyard for around 50$ with hardware)
For the Rear, get the ASR ITR bar setup...
The total should not be much more than the S/T and you'll have a much better setup...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
listen to gpny!

No point in going aftermarket when you can get more then you ever need in terms of sway from the factory!

ASR is an excellent product, with quality superior to anything in its market. Charelston knows his shit.

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok so I use the OEM bar on the front and the ITR bar on the back? is there any point to putting an ITR bar on the front or are they the same?

What years for the front bar?

just 94 + or does 90 - 93 work

-TAG

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have mine...AND I LOVE IT!

It gets the perfect amount of oversteer, and I don't even have a rear sway bar.

My setup:
Skunk2 Pro Series Full Coilovers
Skunk2 LCA's
Skunk2 Camber Kit
ASR Rear Subframe
H Brace

I absolutely love what the ASR did for my setup...one of my best buys.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
94+ integras supposedly all have 24mm front bars. I've heard that the ITR has different endlinks... NOT SURE though.
I have the ITR front bar on the car and an LS bar on a subframe in miked16z6's garage... I'll try to compare them in the next few weeks...

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I have mine...AND I LOVE IT!

It gets the perfect amount of oversteer, and I don't even have a rear sway bar.

My setup:
Skunk2 Pro Series Full Coilovers
Skunk2 LCA's
Skunk2 Camber Kit
ASR Rear Subframe
H Brace

I absolutely love what the ASR did for my setup...one of my best buys.
Sorry to say this, but if you don't even have a rear sway bar, you're wasting the effectiveness of the brace... come on... a sway bar with what you currently have will cost around 100$ all you need is the bar, and links from honda, and the brackets bushings from autozone...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry to say this, but if you don't even have a rear sway bar, you're wasting the effectiveness of the brace... come on... a sway bar with what you currently have will cost around 100$ all you need is the bar, and links from honda, and the brackets bushings from autozone...
Sorry to say this to you, but I've had many a sway bar, ranging from Progress 22mm to ITR sways, to GSR sways...

Progress and ITR made WAY to much oversteer (Sorry) for Auto-X, GSR was a waste of money.

So please, please don't tell me what I'm wasting and not wasting, I understand what the bar is for.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
i bought a set of z-speed swaybars off ebay a few years ago for cheap. i know it would create a lot of understeer with that big of a bar on the front, but i never pushed my car hard enough to get to that point. it did make it corner nice for the driving i did.

here is the link to my old post.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18921

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Sorry to say this to you, but I've had many a sway bar, ranging from Progress 22mm to ITR sways, to GSR sways...

Progress and ITR made WAY to much understeer for Auto-X, GSR was a waste of money.

So please, please don't tell me what I'm wasting and not wasting, I understand what the bar is for.

Rear swaybars give oversteer, not understeer.

I've also had an S/T rear only, followed by front/rear, followed by ITR on S/T Mounts, followed by ITR on ASR... I've autox'd on street tires with the ITR bar, with and without the ASR, and now autocross with hoosiers... Believe me, the difference is noticeable...
Finally, do you think Chris Travis would be running the ASR brace with a 32MM Bar, if it wasn't usefull for autocross... (BTW Chris was Top 10 at nationals in Street Mod, and is the best Civic driver I've met...)

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
And I meant oversteer...thanks.
Fair enough... I sent Tags this message earlier by PM but it's probably worth posting up here:

Now a word of caution... more oversteer on a FWD car can be more dangerous if you're not used to it. That's because in a hard turn, the instinct is to lift off the throttle which brings on oversteer. A lot of ITR's were destroyed this way (including the one i got my 5lug setup from)... Bottom line get used to the car before you push it, no matter what the setup.
That said, having both a front and rear bar will reduce body roll, and in the hands of a skilled driver will increase the car's overall handling envelope.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.