Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARP box is marked Honda D16 but they're too long? WTF?

· Registered
264 Posts
what head? what block?

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
D16Y8 head
D16B5 block

They are tightened down by hand, didn't use an allen wrench. Think that could be it? Maybe there's too much moly lube? They all seemed to stop turning at the same point, it feels like the bottom.

I got the studs from Ebay but they were sealed and had all the lube and directions. It looked new. The box says Honda D16 thats it, doesn't mention Y or Z.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never heard of a D16B5 stateside......
It's pretty rare, out of a civic gx, high compression from factory, made to run natural gas.

Think that could be the problem? I've got the stock bolts that came with it, guess I could match em up and see what they look like side by side...

· Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
8,930 Posts
time to stack washers.....!

grade 8 or titanium......lol either works

that is odd though, maybe the b5 has a shorter head height to add to the compression....?

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
time to stack washers.....!

grade 8 or titanium......lol either works

that is odd though, maybe the b5 has a shorter head height to add to the compression....?
How serious are you about stacking washers? It's like 1/2" till the threads start, thats a lot of washers.

Maybe contact arp for some custom length?!? Ugh autox season starts in 25 days... where's Bense when you need him?

· Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
8,930 Posts
you can have some stainless or other hard metal, 1/2'' or 3/8'' spacers made, and i am sure you wont have any problems from running them.

i had some 5/8'' tall aluminum spacers made for $1 each at a local shop.....it was 3/4'' diameter 5/8''tall....

just throwing it out there for ya...

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. THanks for the help Low. I'll look into some aluminum spacers then I guess.
Seems like keeping the metal the same as the head would be important for expansion and contraction rates.

I knew there would be some surprises with this build. Not seen anyone running a b5/y8 combo w/ crower 3.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
most expensive 170HP build evar?

Just got off the phone with ARP. The nice girl on the phone sent me this excel sheet to fill out and get some custom bolts. :jesus:

I think everything is the same except for "C".

http://mrichard.org/images/headmaincalcsheets1.xls

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you need D16Y studs, your using the longer D16A/Z studs.
ahh ok thats gonna be much more simple, anybody want to buy some Z studs? :)

here's the stock bolt vs the too long stud

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.