Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fans! Reading a lot for ARP rod bolts install i finished with some confusion...My question is - Are there any peope here that have installed ARP rod bolts for D16z6 engine without using the machine shop help. I mean that some guys said that the rods need to be machined because they will end out off round after intall. Other guys said that it is not necessary and you can install them by freezing and putting them on the rods...then torque 'em carefully to the ARP specs 4-5 times.
What's the truth? I wish to put them by myself but...
Thanks a lot!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
ive never been one to be a pussy or listen to people who have experience.

taking that into account.....

i recently installed ARP rod bolts into some D17 rods
i just took out the stock rod bolt, put the ARP in as far as i could, lined up the con rod cap, and hit the rod bolt/nut with a little 100ftlb electric impact till they were bottomed out.

and because i didnt want to spend money getting the big end resized, instead of going to 44ftlb on the ARP's i went to 34ftlb, which is basically in the middle between stock and the ARP tq. just seemed like the logical thing to do.

3500km later, no issues. it sees high RPM quite often.

im sure others will tell you to do it the right way. and so they should. im lucky with this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
i recently installed ARP rod bolts into some D17 rods

and because i didnt want to spend money getting the big end resized, instead of going to 44ftlb on the ARP's i went to 34ftlb, which is basically in the middle between stock and the ARP tq. just seemed like the logical thing to do.

3500km later, no issues. it sees high RPM quite often.

im sure others will tell you to do it the right way. and so they should. im lucky with this kind of stuff.
Quick question and I apologize for the thread jack, but the d17 rods were stock right? When I was looking for the tq for my d16 arp rod bolts, I found 44ftlb and 26ftlb or 28ftlb (something very close to stock). I found the 44ftlb first and tried it and I smashed the tangs on my bearings (one rod, not all of them) and it was tough to turn the crank. So I bought new bearings and went with the closer to stock tq number. Are d17 rods torqued more then d16 rods?

Sorry I can't provide any info, the rods I bought came with the arp's already in them. The machine shop I took them to, to get the pistons swapped, wanted to check them for something. I don't remember what, but I never went back, all my clearances were in check (I plastigauged them my self) so I said eff it.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
I'm going to share my experiences. On a set of B20 rods I had the ARP rod bolts pressed in by a machine shop and they weren't busy so he said I could just wait a bit and he'd do them right then and there; save me a trip. We got to talking and I watched him do it, he showed me the rod and said "and this is why we re-size" You could see with your eye that around the rod bolt area the metal had expanded and wasn't even close to being round anymore. I bet if I were to have not noticed the rod wouldn't fit over the crank. I built this engine with a friend from out of town, still runs great.

On my D16 I also had the rods re-sized after the ARP install. After the bolts were pressed in and put on the re-sizing machine you could tell from the machining pattern that they were no more then a few tenths out and most likely would have been fine. This engine also runs awesome.

case in point, its a gamble and ultimately up to you.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
has mentioned above it's a gamble.

when i put mine in i heated the rods up in a oil bath and froze the bolts.
installed them.
had the machine shop check to see if the where out of round, all was good to go, they have been in the motor for like 9k

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
i jsut taped them in and torqued them down to arp spec's then took them in to check for out of round at the machine shop.this was in one of my circle track engines.Never had a problem with it.Lasted all season with no problems.
The other (better)method is to heat the rods and freeze the bolts.That is just fine and has been done a ton of times with out problems.
Or the best method is just take them in and resize them.I usually don't cause my engine guy is usually backed up for weeks or months this time of year.Racing starts in april around here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advices! Now waiting for pistons from USA (i'm from Bulgaria) and will start the project when they come. Will test to heat the rods and freeze the bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts