Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of several different methods and would like to hear which is the prefered by the people that have actually used them and made power with them.

I have heard installing them by instructions included then heard that people had hg leaks when using this method. Then I heard to install to factory spec and then torque and additional 90 degrees.

I am getting ready to install mine and am curious to the best method. Thanks

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
I set my torque wrench to like, 10, and then do them all, then do them all again at 10 until they stop moving. Then when they're all snugged up I go straight to 65 ft lbs.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I'm not making power by any means but I do something similar to Sentry; except that I final-torque them twice to make sure they're to spec; this actually over-torques them a tad but shouldn't be anything detrimental.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Of course I torque them twice as well.

When you're putting high torque on stuff like a head, by the time you get to the outside bolts the center ones won't be clamping as much. I go over them until none of them move.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Torque them in 3 different levels

25lbs-50lbs-65lbs (tq values can differ) just like the instructions. have no probs at 22psi and 300whp

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
I've never seen any mention of step torquing in instructions in the 2 sets I've had.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Honda recommends two step torquing, and I like it. So I stick to that. I do the same sequence Honda recommends.

I hand thread them all on, until they are snug, then torque them to 25. Then I jump to 80. Its holding 30psi just fine, making over 550.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Honda recommends two step torquing, and I like it. So I stick to that. I do the same sequence Honda recommends.

I hand thread them all on, until they are snug, then torque them to 25. Then I jump to 80. Its holding 30psi just fine, making over 550.
ive always done 3 steps. im going to try it this way when my new set of arp's get here and see if it holds the hg this time

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
:werd: to what everybody says!

Though, just a heads-up; avoid "double torquing" on low-torque fasteners. Doing so may push them past the yield point; stretching them and possibly snapping them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
who's fault did i say it was?
showed a pic to show what happen to mine after many times of use not to say it was anyones fault
Did it stretch or did it break? That is crazy looking.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch
12 Posts
it stretched it, while torquing them down i went to 35 lbft, and they all felt great
went to 70 lbft, and it was the 5th one i torqued and it felt funny as in it spun quite a bit more than the others and i thought that i had pulled the treads on the block, that was not the case when i pulled the head off again i found that, and a cracked sleeve.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts