Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im a noob here that needs help a.s.a.p. i just got my engine put back together and it runs fine except for the head gasket leak. i also took off the timing cover and oil has gotten on the timing belt. my question is if i didn't put loc-tite on the bottom of my arp head studs could it loosen enough for the head gasket to leak?
yes i did get a new head gasket and torqued it to 52 ft./lbs in a 3 step pattern of 15, 35, and then 52 from the middle studs to both ends in a circular fashion if any one is wondering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i did replace the cam gear seal and it is the head gasket thats leaking because i can see it forming puddles on the block behind the exhaust manifold. im starting to think that its just the head gasket because i got it off ebay which comes in a whole gasket kit.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
them ebay HG's are junk. but it shouldnt just be leaking

i suspect its because you didnt read the instructions on how to torque your head studs. IIRC its 60ftlb. i went 65ftlb with mine and it held 30psi no problem

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Check the torque. My ARPs loosened ~1/4 turn after the first warm up and another 1/4 turn by the tenth heat cycle before they held torque. If that doesn't help, resurface the head and use a felpro or oem hg, spray it with copper spray and torque the arps 20-40-60. Also the torque sequence isn't circular it's
8 6 2 4 10
9 3 1 5 7

·
Registered
689 Posts
lol @ ebay gasket.

will anyone learn that ebay brand stlye parts will nevr hold up?

have the head smoothed. sometimes if u crank straight to 56 foot pound of torque right off the bat you can warp a head. but the ebay gasket doesnt help, felpro is good. honda or cometic are better. and the arps will hold no matter what anyways with or without the loctite. but if you blow throw a valve or something happens you blow a hole in your block. you get to buy a new set of head studs.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Only use Honda or Cometic gaskets.

You should torque down to 60 ft.lb in 3 steps from the centre each time criss crossing as you work out toward the ends.

You should bring the engine up to full operating temperature, let it cool overnight then retorque again. The Honda book I read said retorque it again when dead cold a few days later.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Only use Honda or Cometic gaskets.

You should torque down to 60 ft.lb in 3 steps from the centre each time criss crossing as you work out toward the ends.

You should bring the engine up to full operating temperature, let it cool overnight then retorque again. The Honda book I read said retorque it again when dead cold a few days later.

Felpro Headgaskets are nice too.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Good quality 3 layer full metal is the way to go. All Honda and Comatic that I have seen are that construction. Felpro is not. Felpro make some very good composite gaskets where they are suitable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts