Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in the hell....I cannot get them off, I torqued them down to OEM spec, but now I cannot loosen them one bit!

They are the xxx-4301 (d16z6/d16a6) stud kit. What size socket is used for them? 13mm is the closest I have found, but the sockets are starting to strip the stud bolts. I really need to remove this head, it's fucked!

Help!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
maybe the z series studs are not the same but my y head studs used a 12mm 12 point socket.. found at napa for around 4 bucks...good luck with the head studs... if all else fails call arp, they do have a website and im sure they have a phone number on the site...

H

·
0 Posts
civic90ex said:
What in the hell....I cannot get them off, I torqued them down to OEM spec, but now I cannot loosen them one bit!

They are the xxx-4301 (d16z6/d16a6) stud kit. What size socket is used for them? 13mm is the closest I have found, but the sockets are starting to strip the stud bolts. I really need to remove this head, it's fucked!

Help!
um...did you try putting 2 nuts on a stud then loosening the lower nut (the nut on the top will keep the lower one from unbolting). I do this to ANY stud on an engine and it works (i.e. intake manifold, engine block etc).

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
try going to any major tool store and find some bolt back outs...
they actually get a real good bite on the head when you loosen them.
they look just like a normal socket but inside its slotted to bite the nut and turn the head bolt..
I think they sell them at autozone or homedepot...
good luck.
hope it works out for ya

K

·
0 Posts
civic90ex said:

Help!
first off ur using the completely wrong socket. it should be a 12pt 12mm socket and second of all u need is too do what somebody above mentioned.
screw in another nut on top of on one the stud already and loosen the bottom nut. the top nut will not move there fore forcing the stud itself to move

·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kyosoeg6 said:
first off ur using the completely wrong socket. it should be a 12pt 12mm socket and second of all u need is too do what somebody above mentioned.
screw in another nut on top of on one the stud already and loosen the bottom nut. the top nut will not move there fore forcing the stud itself to move
im just trying to get the nut off so I can get the head off, not remove the whole stud

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Hey kysoeg6 where in elpaso are you?
and where is plano at?
Sorry off subject

·
Registered
433 Posts
kyosoeg6 said:
first off ur using the completely wrong socket. it should be a 12pt 12mm socket
It's only 12mm on 1 end. The other end is a 1/2. Civic use a 1/2 like me and transzex said and let use know what happens.

·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1/2 inch did not work, in fact, the 12 was better. Wow.

I found an old craftsman 12mm socket, for some reason, this one fit perfect. Although I had already tried 4 12mm sockets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts