Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to ARP today and they said teh head studs for the d16z should be torques to 60 ft ibs, i old them that people was torquing them to 70-75 instead and he said that would damage them. so whats teh deal? i think mine was at 70+ by the last guy who built my motor and my head never lifted once. any one else go past 60 and still reuse them again later?

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i always go to 65, but i use 10w30 to lube it instead of the arp lube. i've torqued them about 10 times now.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
i also do 65. and they are on at least the 3rd time.
i was told that some poeple go up to 80 on race engines.
just depends on who you ask on how far to go. but if arp said 60 then do that and shouldnt have any problems i would think. but all i know i was gettin scared at 65 when we were torquein them down you could here a pen drop waiting to hear the tiiiing as one snaps but never did

·
Registered
Crx
418 Posts
in my experience you won't break arp, also they make em strong enough that they wont streach at all. that said you could probly go 60 and be just fine, or stick with 70 if your confident thats what they were at prior. 65 sounds like a pretty good number to me though.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9 Posts
1990crxhfturbo and I put 60 ft-lbs with the ARP lube. Tuned the car and was having head lift at 22psi. So we torqued them to 80 ft-lbs and have had no problems so far

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
I went to 70ftlbs with 35psi of boost.

We don't even plan on going much more then 80 on our B series Hot Rod engine.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
1/2" studs, I presume. ;)
nope, NOT YET!

His HOT ROD will be going to 1/2" studs this winter. Mainly he's yet to yank the threads out of the block, but mind you these blocks are honed with torque plates of his design.

Old V8 trick, hard to do on open top sleeves, but works for him. I've mentioned his engine builder before, same one I use at a LESS extreme.

http://www.besracing.com/

Woah, someone designing a new page!

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
i've gone to 76ft lbs 3 times now, and about to go on my 4th. don't ask why! :beer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts