Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have BOTH Y8 studs and Z6 studs and in the one corner near the vtec solenoid (far left on intake side), the theading in the z6 block starts off shallow making any stud screwed into it 1/2" higher than all others....

That is the first problem...

Secondly the stud seat on the Y8 head in that same corner is about 1/4" lower which just increases the problem. In that corner a Y8 stud is too short and will only grap about 3/4 of the threads on the nut making it a weak point. The z6 stud is too long and when the nut is put on it, it spins all the way down untill the stud is out of thread up top and the nut still isn't seated.

All other locations need a z6 stud MATCHING THE BLOCK but the problem is that the corner where the VTEC solenoid is in the block makes for a raised stud, making a z6 stud there useless.

Anyone know what i'm talking about, ever done this setup with arp studs, or have any intelligence whatsoever as to what i should do chime in.

Vince

S

·
0 Posts
hey man,

i did a z6 bottom end and y8 head setup and used arp head studs. i had that problem of that corner being higher and bolted the head to the block and havent had any problems out of it. me and another friend of mine did that to ours and he did it to his wifes also. and we have had no problems out of it. just one is higher than the rest. you should be ok :beer:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sohc-vtec-ef9 said:
hey man,

i did a z6 bottom end and y8 head setup and used arp head studs. i had that problem of that corner being higher and bolted the head to the block and havent had any problems out of it. me and another friend of mine did that to ours and he did it to his wifes also. and we have had no problems out of it. just one is higher than the rest. you should be ok :beer:
Wait which set of studs did you use? Y8 or Z6? Did you use the Y8 stud in that location and just leave it with the nut not totally grabbing the stud? For my the z6 stud is too long to even tighten at all!?

Vince

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
Arachnid said:
wow, sorry to hear you're having such a problem. hope it turns out ok.
is it just me or was that the most useless reply ever?
this guy wants your help not your pity.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
ekny8 said:
is it just me or was that the most useless reply ever?
this guy wants your help not your pity.
Your just on a rampage lately aren't you??? Do you think it is more beneficial to call out a "pointless" reply by adding another pointless reply?

AgentJam said:
Anyone know what i'm talking about, ever done this setup with arp studs, or have any intelligence whatsoever as to what i should do chime in.
Sorry about my mis-guided info on my first post...never knew the threded holes int he block were any different in the Z6

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
civic4ges said:
Sorry about my mis-guided info on my first post...never knew the threded holes int he block were any different in the Z6
It's cool...i guess i'll be a pioneer on this one. Like i posted in the other thread ARP may have a stud from another application they can ship me from the manufacturing location. Hopefully this thread will be helpful for anyone else doing this in the future once i get the part #.

Vince

·
0 Posts
well the head bolt in the corner IS suppost to sit higher than the rest... if you look at a z6 head, the corner sits higher to allow oil to the vtec soloniod through a passage.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
92SIvic said:
well the head bolt in the corner IS suppost to sit higher than the rest... if you look at a z6 head, the corner sits higher to allow oil to the vtec soloniod through a passage.
Yep you are right...but i'm putting on a Y8 head which is lower in that corner. I'm being shipped a stud directly from ARP that is supposedly the same pinch/diameter as the Y8/Z6 but the length is right between the long Z6 and short Y8 studs.

I'll let everyone know.
Vince

·
Registered
459 Posts
i was bolting my y8 head on and ended up having the same prob. with my y8 head and b7 block. now im assuming i need to get that certain y8 bolt.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i guess that would work to.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally i wouldn't use a spacer and actually i dont even know if it would fit with the nut sitting that high next to the valve spring in that corner...can't remember.

Anyway check out my other thread LAST POST where i posted up the part i had to order from ARP direct to get it to work. It's a single stud from another vehicle. Same thread dimensions but in terms of length directly between Y8 and Z6 stud.

Enjoy!

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9752&highlight=stud

Vince

1 - 15 of 15 Posts