Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know wtf is wrong with it now but let me tell you what I did to it.

**I had a b7 in there with the z6 head on it. I did the head swap abt a year ago. It started for abt 30 seconds, stalled and never started again. Remmer now, its was a year ago. So the car has been sitting for a pretty long time.

**3 weeks ago I bought a d16z6 and swapped it in 2 weeks ago. There were some things that needed to be replaced and I used the parts from my mini-me motor. It worked but it ran like shit. Idle was errantic big time. White smoke was coming out from the exhaust BIG time. Drove it home from autozone which was 2 blocks down, lifted the hood and there was smoke coming out between the head and the block with the car still running.

-the smoke was coming from cylinder #1 and 4. Anti-freeze seem to be leaking out of the #4 cylinder.

-note that there were no CEL lit when I was driving it. Soooo... I don't really know what's the plm. I knew I needed a new head gasket and probably adjust the timing.

**Last saturday I took the head off and replace it with the z6 head I had on the mini-me along with the new head gasket. I switch everything that was on the head I took off to the one that was on the mini-me. It didn't start. I stop working on it bec it was my birthday and I didn't want anything to do with it if it doesn't start.

**TODAY, I checked the valve clearance (fixed), checked if its getting fuel (spark plug was wet), and made sure everyting was at TDC when I was checking to see if everything is right. The only thing I didn't check was if it was getting any sparks because I used the same distributor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs from the previous head. It STILL won't start.

-I advanced and retarded the distributer a lil by lil to find the right ignition timing and STILL nothing. I didn't have a timing light to have it done correctly. I don't even know how to use it anyway. Maybe I need to advance or retard the cam a tooth?

-I am still using the P06 ecu since the car I'm driving is a dx. The vtec connectors are not connected or wired up. I plan on doing that later when I get it to work.

-I really do not want to put back on the old head bec it seem to be warped. 2 of the treads that holds the intake manifold were bent. A couple are missing on the exhaust side. A lot of things are wrong with it and it worked. I don't understand lol

What am I to do?

Now that I have on a better, cleaner head and it doesn't start. I KNOW nothing is wrong with the head. All I can think of is that my timing is fked up even though I followed the haynes manual and some information from the forum on this website. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts
very detailed and written... Rep for you....

fuel, spark, combustion!!!!! the 3 main ingredients need to make the car work...
I would first change the fuel filter. it's prolly LOADED w/ sediment and rust
Make sure you can hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to accy.
If you used the old injectors... take them out and clean the little filters in the top of them... make sure you can blow thru them easily

I know you said you had fuel...cause the plugs were wet... I thought i did to, but it seemed like i had a dead cylinder... (pull the plug wire, no change in Idle) WTF??... spark plug was wet... pulled the injector filter... could NOT blow thru the damn thing.... went and got an old injector and swapped the little filter... PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very detailed and written... Rep for you....

fuel, spark, combustion!!!!! the 3 main ingredients need to make the car work...
I would first change the fuel filter. it's prolly LOADED w/ sediment and rust
Make sure you can hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to accy.
If you used the old injectors... take them out and clean the little filters in the top of them... make sure you can blow thru them easily

I know you said you had fuel...cause the plugs were wet... I thought i did to, but it seemed like i had a dead cylinder... (pull the plug wire, no change in Idle) WTF??... spark plug was wet... pulled the injector filter... could NOT blow thru the damn thing.... went and got an old injector and swapped the little filter... PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!

Good Luck
The injectors that is already on it was on the same manifold that I used on the previous head that made the car ran errantic.

In a few minutes I am going to walk down to autozone to recharge my battery and come back to see if all the spark plugs are getting sparks. I worn down the battery trying to test the timing on the distributor. If it is getting sparks... then it shld not be any other problem but the timing. Its getting air and fuel but not sure if it is getting sparks like on the previous head.

I read the "my car wont start" sticky on this general technical forum and the person who wrote the thread have said that not getting any sparks seem to be the majority reason why his motors doesn't start. So let me check it out and I will keep u updated

I did thought of buying a timing light and use it but I was wondering if there is another way of making sure if the timing is correct? I really don't want to take the guess work by moving the distributor because I dont know how far apart am I suppose to move it. I hope u understand what I am trying to say. If not, I will try to explain it another way.

Does anybody would like to share their own idea of correcting the timing without a timing light?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
A Z6 will run with the distributor in any position-IF the cam and crank are timed properly.
First thing you want to check is that both crank and cam are a TDC at the same. (When the cam is at TDC so should the crank) with out this, it will never run well.
Make sure you are using a Z6 belt too, the B7 belt has too many teeth.

You do need a timing gun to time it correctly, but it will run as long as the cam/crank timing are dead on. Also will run ok with P06 ecu, but you will want to mod for vtec (check xenocron.com for parts) if you want vtec.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In a few minutes I am going to walk down to autozone to recharge my battery and come back to see if all the spark plugs are getting sparks.
I got the battery recharged but I didnt check the plugs yet. I got a lot of errands to do today using a frigging bus. so will try to find the time to check the plugs, change the timing belt and make sure everything is in TDC when I start the car.

A Z6 will run with the distributor in any position-IF the cam and crank are timed properly.
First thing you want to check is that both crank and cam are a TDC at the same. (When the cam is at TDC so should the crank) with out this, it will never run well.
Make sure you are using a Z6 belt too, the B7 belt has too many teeth.

You do need a timing gun to time it correctly, but it will run as long as the cam/crank timing are dead on. Also will run ok with P06 ecu, but you will want to mod for vtec (check xenocron.com for parts) if you want vtec.

I feel soooooo relieved about the z6 distributor thing. I have been cranking that shit for the wrong reason lol.

The timing belt that is on there right now is from the old z6 i bought for the car a year ago and the block was messed up. So I had to use only the head for my b7 block. I still used the belt not knowing if its the right one. So today, if I have time, I will put on the new belt, twerk it a lil and try again.

I will keep you guys updated. I wont quit until it starts. I know this bitch works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok now I am back. I did a few things and it still wouldn't start.

- Recharged the battery
- Rechecked the fuel and its getting fuel. The spark plugs are wet and i can smell fuel.
- Finally checked if the spark plugs were getting sparks. All spark plugs were getting sparks.
- Put in a new timing belt. I count teeth on the new and old. Both had 104 teeths.

**I set the crank and cam at TDC, put the belt on and tried to start it. Nothing. Then I advanced the cam 1 tooth, nothing. Then back to the orginial spot and then retard the cam 1 tooth, Nothing. I thought I'd try to retard the cam 1 tooth one more time, nothing. Back to the orginial spot, nothing.

I am really getting frustrated. I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Here is an excerpt from guest's stickied unofficial my car won't start post.
double check your cam timing per his instructions. You are using the white mark on your crank pully, not the red one?
and the air part, you might want to run that down.

Timing: The up mark on the cam gear should be at 12:00 ( on all motors but the z6 which actually lines up with the timing cover behind the cam gear) with the timing belt cover pointing at the top dead center mark on the crank pulley and the rotor facing the number one spark plug terminal on the cap. with the timing belt on everything has to be lined up accordingly.

Air: You need air to start the car, clean air filter. The idle needs to be set properly (open enough to start the car). A really bad vacuum leak could cause it to not start or stall. Make sure all IM and TB bolts are tight. Also make sure the TB and IM gaskets are in good condition. I highly recommend getting a Hondata heatshield (IM gasket), because it's reusable. Also clean your EACV or IACV.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch si
752 Posts
You said you used a Haynes manual. I know that there is some info in there that is not accurate concerning adjusting valve and the order of dist rotor position. Did you check for spark??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an excerpt from guest's stickied unofficial my car won't start post.
double check your cam timing per his instructions. You are using the white mark on your crank pully, not the red one?
and the air part, you might want to run that down.
When I got on this site, guest's sticky was the first thing i read before i asked post anything on here. I have followed his instructions and I still do come back to that thread and read it again to make sure that I am checking everything.

You said you used a Haynes manual. I know that there is some info in there that is not accurate concerning adjusting valve and the order of dist rotor position. Did you check for spark??
its getting sparks. I checked it for the first time with the spark plug out of the head. it was cool. anyway, yes i could tell that the haynes manual was wrong with the distributor rotor position but I did not know that the valve clearance were the wrong information. I had use this manual's info on the valve part. it says .007-.009 clearance on the intake side and .009-.011 on the exhaust side. I have haynes manual for both 92-95 civic and 96-00 civic and they both says the same thing. Is this wrong or what? what are the correct valve clearance for a z6?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
OK, from the begining, because we're missing something....

I don't know wtf is wrong with it now but let me tell you what I did to it.

**I had a b7 in there with the z6 head on it. I did the head swap abt a year ago. It started for abt 30 seconds, stalled and never started again. Remmer now, its was a year ago. So the car has been sitting for a pretty long time.
OK....

**3 weeks ago I bought a d16z6 and swapped it in 2 weeks ago. There were some things that needed to be replaced and I used the parts from my mini-me motor. It worked but it ran like shit. Idle was errantic big time. White smoke was coming out from the exhaust BIG time. Drove it home from autozone which was 2 blocks down, lifted the hood and there was smoke coming out between the head and the block with the car still running.
Uh.. what parts?

-the smoke was coming from cylinder #1 and 4. Anti-freeze seem to be leaking out of the #4 cylinder.
Sounds like the head gasket

-note that there were no CEL lit when I was driving it. Soooo... I don't really know what's the plm. I knew I needed a new head gasket and probably adjust the timing.
And?...

**Last saturday I took the head off and replace it with the z6 head I had on the mini-me along with the new head gasket. I switch everything that was on the head I took off to the one that was on the mini-me. It didn't start. I stop working on it bec it was my birthday and I didn't want anything to do with it if it doesn't start.
Happy belated birthday!

**TODAY, I checked the valve clearance (fixed), checked if its getting fuel (spark plug was wet), and made sure everyting was at TDC when I was checking to see if everything is right. The only thing I didn't check was if it was getting any sparks because I used the same distributor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs from the previous head. It STILL won't start.
What distributor? I forgot... Is this with the Z6 head?

-I advanced and retarded the distributer a lil by lil to find the right ignition timing and STILL nothing. I didn't have a timing light to have it done correctly. I don't even know how to use it anyway. Maybe I need to advance or retard the cam a tooth?
If the cam timing is right, a Z6 will run with the distributor in any position the bolts allow.

-I am still using the P06 ecu since the car I'm driving is a dx. The vtec connectors are not connected or wired up. I plan on doing that later when I get it to work.
P06 will run a Z6, but not very well, forget about vtec.

-I really do not want to put back on the old head bec it seem to be warped. 2 of the treads that holds the intake manifold were bent. A couple are missing on the exhaust side. A lot of things are wrong with it and it worked. I don't understand lol
Again, I forgot which head... If you have the Z6 block, use the Z6 head for simplicity's sake

What am I to do?
don't tempt me!

Now that I have on a better, cleaner head and it doesn't start. I KNOW nothing is wrong with the head. All I can think of is that my timing is fked up even though I followed the haynes manual and some information from the forum on this website. Any help is appreciated.
How do you know nothing is wrong with the head?..

One more time, line up the crank with the white mark at the pointer on the lower valve cover and the horizontal lines on the cam gear lined up with the top of the head, your Haynes manual will show you the proper way.
With air, fuel and spark it should run - otherwise we are overlooking something else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had the head on the b7 block and it ran for 20-30 secs and never started again that is why I thought nothing was wrong with the head. Maybe I should put back on the other head?

I dont have the timing cover on the block. I left it off bec i am sick of taking it off every time I need to take off the timing belt. So i use a oil dip stick in the #1 spark plug hole to check for TDC. I know it is not the best way to make sure that it is at TDC. So when I have time, I am going to take off the crank pulley and use the arrow by the crankshaft.

If it still doesn't start, I will try to fix the bolts on the other head, put that one back on and see if it works. If it does, then something is not right on the head that is on the block right now. I will try to load some pictures of the head and the engine in my car. I dont have a camera but I will use my cellphone and I hope that it will be clear for you guys to see.

What is the valve clearance for the z6?

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic LX
439 Posts
Make sure the camshaft tdc isnt 180* out

i.e. make sure that when you line up the cam at tdc, the rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug contact, and not the #3 spark plug contact

1 - 12 of 12 Posts