Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, I have heard soo many different opinions about what will hold up and what will not. I think that i'm gonna say f##k stock internals and hell yeah to forged. I want to make 300hp with a turbo setup. This motor will be a D16Z6.

So here is what I had in mind for my internals:
-Eagle ESP h-bead forged rods
-SRP forged 9.0CR pistons and wrist pins
-Hondata S100 w/boost option (maybe the S200)
-ARP bolt kit
-MLS head gasket

These internals should hold up to 300hp or more, right? What am I missing? Can the d-series block hold up? I didn't include turbo kit specifics mainly because all big boost kits require better engine internals anyways. If I decide to not go the turbo route, I suppose that I could always just install a 3 stage wet shot such as 50hp/100hp/150hp. I mean, these internals should be able to support 150hp of well prepared nitrous use.

I am starting to think that the d-series block cannot withstand these huge power ratings regardless of how strong the rotating internals are.
 

·
Random Hero
Range Rover
Joined
·
2,624 Posts
Those internals will be fine for 300+whp


integrawow said:
I am starting to think that the d-series block cannot withstand these huge power ratings regardless of how strong the rotating internals are.
Why?
 

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
So youre willing to spend $350+ on pistons for just 300whp when there are cheaper alternatives than that?

I am starting to think that the d-series block cannot withstand these huge power ratings regardless of how strong the rotating internals are.
D series sleeves are much stronger than what you think.. They have proven to hold up to 470whp and according to MR. Jeff Evans a.k.a. boosted_hybrid (one hell of a tunner).. they can probably hold 500whp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
ZEX_MAN has made somwhere in the mid 500's with boost and lots of nitrous.

d sleeves can hold over 500 with proper tuning...be very weary of tuning a boosted d when on nitrous...very very tricky...i have been doing lots of research on this topic as i have bought a wet NX kit and plan to put it on my car in order to hit 500+whp. just be smart and do everything right, work with the right people and do your best to seek out the right info and anything is possible!
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The stuff you listed should get you to 300+whp depending on the rest of you turbo setup.
 

·
Brokedick Millionaire
Joined
·
40,252 Posts
fjt said:
So youre willing to spend $350+ on pistons for just 300whp when there are cheaper alternatives than that?


D series sleeves are much stronger than what you think.. They have proven to hold up to 470whp and according to MR. Jeff Evans a.k.a. boosted_hybrid (one hell of a tunner).. they can probably hold 500whp
fjt, I don't trust the numbers from Jeff's dyno, they always seem high. Now take one of his cars and strap it to a dynojet/mustang/dynapak and get above average numbers, I'd eat my words. Ever get the ENDYN or GUDE feeling?

integrawow: that setup has been proven to 27 psi and 404 whp, but you'll likely want the S300 or better from Hondata......
 

·
Brokedick Millionaire
Joined
·
40,252 Posts
FAST2CAMCIV said:
ZEX_MAN has made somwhere in the mid 500's with boost and lots of nitrous.
I don't believe Matt made that much power before switching to V8's, more like mid 400's with the prototype 59500 cam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have some damned good knowledge of turbo setups, but since I actually have the chance to ask those that have been there and have done that with the d-series engines, I am going to ask if you guys could give me a list of the sh#t i'm gonna need to make the 300 barrier safely and reliably. I hate to say this, but this will be a daily driver. Of course I could cut the boost down for daily commuting. But all in all, I would like for some of you guys to give me some combinations that you feel are safe. Actually, the 250hp range would be good enough, or at least for what I am trying to do.

Thanks to all that have replied.
 

·
Random Hero
Range Rover
Joined
·
2,624 Posts
You have a good start. That will net you a reliable setup, given your tune, and assembly.

I'd suggest using Crome or Uberdata, rather than hondata. You'll save some money.

But just search around and look at others turbo setups to get an idea of what type of manifold/turbo/dp you want to run for power goals. I'd only look at ones with dynos. There are a few pretty high HP dynos in this forum, a few weeks/months back. Check em out!
 

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
Joined
·
25,544 Posts
transzex said:
fjt, I don't trust the numbers from Jeff's dyno, they always seem high. Now take one of his cars and strap it to a dynojet/mustang/dynapak and get above average numbers, I'd eat my words. Ever get the ENDYN or GUDE feeling?
they were talking about that just the other day on HT

on a few comparisons it was 40-50hp more on 350+ setups
 

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
transzex said:
fjt, I don't trust the numbers from Jeff's dyno, they always seem high. Now take one of his cars and strap it to a dynojet/mustang/dynapak and get above average numbers, I'd eat my words. Ever get the ENDYN or GUDE feeling?

integrawow: that setup has been proven to 27 psi and 404 whp, but you'll likely want the S300 or better from Hondata......
Yeah i've heard of his dyno reading high.. Was Full Race PINKS d series motor tunned at his dyno or was another dyno used and he was just the tunner?

Cause i think he said that with another turbo it would've probably gone over 500whp on the stock sleeves. I think they got 465whp outta PINKS
 

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
i have basically the internals you are talking about and i hope to make around 400whp. eagle h beams, srp's, arp head studs, felpro headgasket.

already at 245whp with no problems so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
transzex said:
I don't believe Matt made that much power before switching to V8's, more like mid 400's with the prototype 59500 cam.
its somewhere in this thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1643764&page=1

iirc it was around 450 on boost alone and then mid 500's on the bottle.

he did run 10.3 @ 148 and that SCREAMS power! there is no way that a car could go 148mph and not have well over 500whp (even in a light ass crx, wich his was still SFWD trim so im assuming weight was somewhere around 1800-1900 with him in it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
FAST2CAMCIV said:
its somewhere in this thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1643764&page=1

iirc it was around 450 on boost alone and then mid 500's on the bottle.

he did run 10.3 @ 148 and that SCREAMS power! there is no way that a car could go 148mph and not have well over 500whp (even in a light ass crx, wich his was still SFWD trim so im assuming weight was somewhere around 1800-1900 with him in it)
you'd be suprised....i've heard of 450 hp CRX's going deep 10's, and 650-700 hp eg's barely breaking into the 10's (spinning through the 1000 ft though :lol: ) horsepower isn't everything, where the powerband is and how flat it is would be more important than peak hp imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
98_4drCivic said:
you'd be suprised....i've heard of 450 hp CRX's going deep 10's, and 650-700 hp eg's barely breaking into the 10's (spinning through the 1000 ft though :lol: ) horsepower isn't everything, where the powerband is and how flat it is would be more important than peak hp imo.
you are right....but thats not what im saying here.....trap speed is a HUGE indicator of whp...what im saying is to run a 148mph trap he has to have more than 500whp. i could care less if he ran a 13.5 or an 8.5....trap speed is where its at.
 

·
Brokedick Millionaire
Joined
·
40,252 Posts
FAST2CAMCIV said:
its somewhere in this thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1643764&page=1

iirc it was around 450 on boost alone and then mid 500's on the bottle.

he did run 10.3 @ 148 and that SCREAMS power! there is no way that a car could go 148mph and not have well over 500whp (even in a light ass crx, wich his was still SFWD trim so im assuming weight was somewhere around 1800-1900 with him in it)
Never assume.........

400 (340 whp) hp is all you need to go 9.76 @ 145 mph, ask Bisi. Now I know Matts car had 450 whp ON the bottle and with as heavy as his CRX was, 10.3 @ 148 mph is about right. Last time I chatted with Matt he was using a 90-91 EX case (small bearing) with 4.058 FD and 24" (not sure on size) slicks, traction was not there, hence the high trap speeds.

EDIT: Don't bother trying to google his setup.......I kept coming across my posts! I did into the archives tonight and get his setup.... or just call him tomorrow :)
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top