Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am currently compliling parts to rebuild my D engine. Would like to know if the "honda bearings" mentioned in this forum known as conrod bearings? Thanks.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
which bearings are you talking about. if they are main bearings, they are more like bushings. it has been a year since my mechanical and fluid power transmission class, so correct me if i am wrong.

ryan

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Could be conrod or main, it's a Honda forum so it makes sense to be talking about honda bearings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be conrod or main, it's a Honda forum so it makes sense to be talking about honda bearings.
So you mean to say if I am to rebuild my engine, I have to get the full set of main bearings and conrod bearings?

Anyone can comment on ACL bearings?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Iam doin the same process at the moment, generally if you check the crank and block you will get the colour codes for the Orignal Honda bearings used on the crank and rods.

This is what I got :

Crank worked out to be Brown Green Yellow Green Black

Rods worked out to be Green Green Yellow Brown

So I could order these direct from Honda or I could get ACL's but they would have to be within OEM spec once fitted.

·
Registered
315 Posts
ACL bearing are what Honda used in my D15b2 from standard, you can use a product called plastigauge as well to find out what oversize bearings you will need. If you need to know more about Plastigauge search for it on the forum as remember reading something a while back about it.

Chris ;)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Iam doin the same process at the moment, generally if you check the crank and block you will get the colour codes for the Orignal Honda bearings used on the crank and rods.

This is what I got :

Crank worked out to be Brown Green Yellow Green Black

Rods worked out to be Green Green Yellow Brown

So I could order these direct from Honda or I could get ACL's but they would have to be within OEM spec once fitted.
for those bearings you should be able to get away with acl's except maybe the last one which you said should be black. the acl may be to loose.

i wanst so lucky, my acl's ended up being to tight on 3 of my rod journals. im going to use all oem honda bearings.

plastigage is your friend.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
for those bearings you should be able to get away with acl's except maybe the last one which you said should be black. the acl may be to loose.

i wanst so lucky, my acl's ended up being to tight on 3 of my rod journals. im going to use all oem honda bearings.

plastigage is your friend.
when i tried ACLs, all my rod bearings spec'd fine. the main bearings were way too loose on 4 of them.

i think i had 1 black, 2 brown, 1 ACL(green), and maybe 1 blue. hard to remember now

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
when i tried ACLs, all my rod bearings spec'd fine. the main bearings were way too loose on 4 of them.

i think i had 1 black, 2 brown, 1 ACL(green), and maybe 1 blue. hard to remember now
I hope my acls spec out fine................i got them with my rods, but it would stiull be nice not to have to go to the dealer for the rip off prices.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I am to rebuild my D16z6 engine using stock crank and crower conrods, which ACL bearings should I go for?

I do understand ACL had both standard and oversized ones and one with +0.001" extra for the oil clearance. Geez... I m really sux at this.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i would also like to know this. I have the steel billet crower rods and i got acl bearings with them. I didnt pay real close attention, but i think the bearings are std size.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i would also like to know this. I have the steel billet crower rods and i got acl bearings with them. I didnt pay real close attention, but i think the bearings are std size.
Damned... Its sure is not as easy as I thought it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts