Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the question states, id like to put a a6 pulley on my z6 that im building. i have no need for the power steering and a/c for my swap, and ill be using a a6 alternator which is new.

theres only 2 ribs on the a6 pulley and 3 ribs on the z6 so one of the pulleys need to be changed either on the alternator or the crank.

so will that work ok?
swap is going into a 90Si hatch

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Okay, so the A6 is the one I want. I saw a little while back a 2-belt pulley, non-aftermarket. I was wondering if that would help with the rotational mass that engine has to spin, or would it be like the contraversy be between the heavier & lighter flywheels...

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
First off I doubt you'll save more than 3/4 of a lb, BUT that said it's not like the flywheel issue for one reason. A heavy flywheel helps to keep the engine at a higher RPM longer after you let off the gas. A Crankshaft pully is 100% parasitic so any mass you can remove will be good. Your tiny little 2lb stock crankshaft pully isn't keeping anything spinning trust me. I say go for the smaller lighter one no doubt!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
First off I doubt you'll save more than 3/4 of a lb, BUT that said it's not like the flywheel issue for one reason. A heavy flywheel helps to keep the engine at a higher RPM longer after you let off the gas. A Crankshaft pully is 100% parasitic so any mass you can remove will be good. Your tiny little 2lb stock crankshaft pully isn't keeping anything spinning trust me. I say go for the smaller lighter one no doubt!
A harmonic Balancer is worth its weight in GOLD

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
A harmonic Balancer is worth its weight in GOLD
A whodawhada now huh? Teach. I've heard your track time so I'm all ears LOL. Seriously though, what is a harmonic balancer and what does it do exactly. I figure it has to do with eliminating vibration but how?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
Well let's start with this...

The crank pulleys on D series motors do not act as harmonic balancers; rather they are harmonic dampeners. So probably what the BigTuna is trying tell you is that if you use a lighter crankshaft pulley you will potenially cause harm to your engine because the vibrations in your crankshaft produced by the sudden downward force of pistons will not be absorbed by the dampening effects of a lighter pulley resulting in premature bearing wear and ultimate disaster. However, the dampening effects provided by a stock pulley is largely due to the rubber rings imbedded in the pulley and not necessarily its mass. In other words, if you use a lighter stock pulley you probably are not putting the health of your engine at risk.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Don't put a 1.5 crank pulley on a 1.6.

If you love your bearings, you'll follow that advice like cops follow my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts