Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so forgive me if this is in the wrong forum but I thought this best suited it. I am about ready to install my turbo and I need to make my oil drain setup, I can either try my hand at learning to arc weld aluminum with a 4043 rod or I can pay someone to do it which would you guys do? I like learning new thing and doing things myself but I know nothing about arc welding aluminum, I can weld all postions verticle up or down, overhead and all that with 6010 or 7018 and back 6 years or so I was ok with tig welding aluminum. Im not new to welding but I didnt even know you could arc weld aluminum until I thought about looking it up, the welds look like they are pretty cold in the videos I watched even though they are running high amps, think an -An fitting would be alright even without proper weld tie in or should I just pay someone?

I dont have a tig machine but I have plenty of old miller and hobart arc welders at work and also a victor torch, think torch welding it might be easier?Im just looking for some insight, I would have to buy the aluminum 4043 rod but I can take my oilpan to work and weld It up.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i definitely want to try it, main things im worried about is it not fusing the fitting to the oilpan good enough and also messing up the fitting or oilpan

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure you can but i dont have a mig at home or work, we use arc at work. i have a cheap harbor freight mig but its flux cored and has no bottle hookups

1 - 8 of 8 Posts