Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Del sol
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I want to pick this kit up fro my d16. Only problem is that the motor is kinda on the high compression side. It should be 11:1, but I'm thinking its more like 10,5:1. he wants $800 for the turbo kit. What do you guys think of the price ? My motor is a z6 with a fresh rebuild all oem parts, UR crank pulley and UR ultra lite flywheel with a y8 milled ported and polished, y8 IM adj cam gear, b16 tb, hondata s200. Car made 123 whp and 103tq.
Again compression is somewhat questionable because combustion chamvers were touched when doing the headwork. So i'm guessing that it's not the 11:1 . How do you guys think the motor would do with the turbo ?

He's AD:
Getting rid of my Apexi sohc turbo kit for D series. It is A/C and P/S compatible! This kit retails (minus IC, piping and BOV) for $2,700. It consists of the following:

-Apexi Log manifold (has plugged EGT bung)
-Apexi RHF5 Ball Bearing Turbo -ZERO shaft play (awesome turbo)
-2.25" Cast to manderal bent downpipe (heat wrapped)
-All charge piping, silicone couplers and hose clamps
-3AN oil line with banjo fitting for turbo feed
-10AN oil drain
-DSM 1G BOV and flange
-DSM 1G SMIC (flat black)
-Blue pre turbo pipe with Apexi air filter

·
Registered
96 hatch SIR
1,334 Posts
So ur engine as it is rit nows is 11:1? The question is wats your goals? Im rockin that turbo kit on my eg. Im not running 11:1 compression but Im sure boosting 20 lbs on my low compression vitaras and its not enough for my boost need, might work better with your high compression build tho. Great kit for dd tho. It also looks as if they broke the actuator arm and reweid it back.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
dtich the bov and the smic, your compression is ok. im sure what you measured was off. *no diss*. what is your set up to the T. let us know and we/some one can calculate it. running low boost ona hi comp. set up is actually beneficial if you can tune for it. the most prob is, no one can tune. you can look into a real intercooler, and some methanol injection then run more boost and be saft =- ) wooot!

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
All I'll say is your tune better be right, boost and high compression is touchy.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless "your" a "great" tuner. But if you were, you would know better.

But hey, it's your money.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had on my sol as well, was very good kit, but his is just the turbo and the wastegate arm looks weird, mine broke off and had to use an arm from another wastegate.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
UR crank pully=build a new motor. Now that you've doomed your self for a rebuild, go with smome FJT parts and slap that snail on. Just don't reuse the crank pully of death.

·
Registered
Del sol
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UR crank pully=build a new motor. Now that you've doomed your self for a rebuild, go with smome FJT parts and slap that snail on. Just don't reuse the crank pully of death.
the motor has about 10k since the rebuild. and it still running strong. people always tell me that about the pulley but it has been holding up the only thing that worries me is how it will act under boost.

·
Registered
Del sol
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
exactly what i was going to say, down to the quotation marks.
Yeah I know what you guys are saying. The only thing is that I'm not really sure that I have the compression that I'm supposed to have.
The bottom : i reused my rods,pistons only added new bearings and wiseco rings. crank was deburred and micro polished.
Most of the up in compression should of came from the head.
Y8 head milled and ported and polished. But The chambers had some taken out so I'm guessing that dropped the compression. I don't even think that the compression is higher than 10.5:1.
As far as boost goals I don't expect anything radical. The car that I would put the kit on is just collecting dust and can't be my daily driver, I travel a lot so I wouldn't trust it.
I just want it to see what having a boosted car feels like.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
the motor has about 10k since the rebuild. and it still running strong. people always tell me that about the pulley but it has been holding up the only thing that worries me is how it will act under boost.
I bet that if you opened the motor up you'll find the main bearings worn as if you put 100K+ on the motor in that time.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
I was running this turbo and I love it, I ran 13.2 on my heavy del sol with this turbo.

But I think that you have to low the compression to be safe, I was using vitaras/eagles rods.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
I had this kit for a while with the apex'i front mount kit as well and it was a pretty decent setup. 6psi made my stock clutch slip. :p

Edit: I wouldnt pay 800 for it though... when i bought mine i got it for 900 and it was the complete Apex'i kit with the HUGE Apex'i GT intercooler and all the piping, plus injectors and 2 gauges.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
id honestly feel bad paying 400 for that.

but it will get you going.

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
hmm who was that one member... well there was a guy on here boosted at 10.5:1 and he said if he had to do it all over again, he would have went with a lower compression ratio. going to be touchy, and stock rods and pistons plus a little detonation.... well you see where im going.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts