Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey pretty new here to the honda side of things and i currently have a boosted 96 ek with a apexi neo and was wondering if anyone on here has any idea how my maps should be set ? it builds boost fine but when i am just cruseing and its between boost/vaccuum it pops .. any ideas anyone ?

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Running boost on a Honda with a Neo absolutely stupid. Get an OBD1 conversion harness, chipped ECU and get a proper tune.

You CANNOT effectively control the ignition timing, ESPECIALLY on an OBDII car. You WILL kill the engine that way.

These facts were established over a decade ago, and considering how cheap it is to actually tune a Honda ECU, you could sell the NEO and likely get everything you need to run the engine more reliably.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
apexis are good for coil pack ignition systems, thats why they do ok on mild dsm and nissan setups. no good for honda your actually better off running no tune at all. when leaning out fuel on apexi it adds ignition timinig which is exactly what u dont want in boost.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Been a long time since ive seen a thread about apexi turbo tuning.
In others words it isnt worth it. It doesnt let u adjust what u need in order to get the turbo setup running right.
You should switch to something else for tuning. Either obd1 or aem fic for obd2 only setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fellas i ripped the neo right out and it runs the exact same.. so i should convert back to obd1 or just run a full stand alone ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
thanks fellas i ripped the neo right out and it runs the exact same.. so i should convert back to obd1 or just run a full stand alone ?
Buy an OBD2a-to-OBD1 ECU conversion harness. Then locate a chipped P28 or P06 ECU (those are OBD1).

After that, your free to choose what software you want to run and be tuned with.

Crome, eCtune, NepTune, etc.

I'd go with Crome free at the very least. That's better than an Apex'i anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
not a good way to tune your car but if you must like tw34k said find someone that has used them before. but why half ass it when there are things out here that cost the same as neo but do more

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
not a good way to tune your car but if you must like tw34k said find someone that has used them before. but why half ass it when there are things out here that cost the same as neo but do more
Thats not what Tw34kd said.

OP,
Take the Apexi and throw it in the garbage, then go to pgmfi.org and read the FAQ, then find a local tuner that knows what they are doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts