Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
01' EX coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I picked up a 01' EX coupe. CEL is on. throwing a vtec solenoid code. So i removed the valve today and discovered i was just fucked hardcore. someone must of blew the old head up on swapped it out with a non-vtec head. I have the d17a2 block with a nonvtec head. can I jump the wires somehow instead of replacing the head to get the CEL off? wasnt sure if i can find the hot wire on the Oil pressure switch and jump it with a wire to the single wire on the solenoid switch. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
01' EX coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will end up eventually putting the correct on so i have vtec. This is just a quick fix so i can my emissions bullshit.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,054 Posts
find another head or enjoy the glow. k.i.s.s.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
To swap the ECU on a 7th gen is super easy, but can be costly depending on where you go. The scan tool I have (Autel MaxiSys) all I do is hit ECM swap and cycle the ignition 5 times. Bam new ecu is flashed for the present keys

·
Registered
01' EX coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like a nice little scan tool. so i tried to run a jumper from the hot on the oil pressure to the hot on the solenoid, then i ran a ground from the oil pressure to the block... no dice. light kicks on even faster now. should I just try to ground out the oil pressure switch and leave the power alone? either i find a different head that was intended for the block or I can try a new ecu. Im sure a dealer could reflash it to my ignition for hefty price. what to do.. ill have to search around on craigs or ebay and see what I can find.

·
Registered
toytoa supra
123 Posts
Measure the resistance of a vtec solenoid and wire up a resistor in place of the solenoid.. The vtec pressure switch should have one wire coming from the ecu to the switch and the other wire on the switch goes to ground. When the switch closes(ie: adequate oil pressure) is will pass the ground to ecu. So just connect the wire to ground somewhere.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
sounds like a nice little scan tool. so i tried to run a jumper from the hot on the oil pressure to the hot on the solenoid, then i ran a ground from the oil pressure to the block... no dice. light kicks on even faster now. should I just try to ground out the oil pressure switch and leave the power alone? either i find a different head that was intended for the block or I can try a new ecu. Im sure a dealer could reflash it to my ignition for hefty price. what to do.. ill have to search around on craigs or ebay and see what I can find.
Wow... Is it just me or is this wrong in so many ways? Without even looking at any wiring diagrams I would never try doing this as any solution. Ever.

You could have just shorted the vtec circuit perminently on your ecu with that little stunt.

At least lost is using actual tools and reasoning before just cramming any resistor in that shit.

Think before you just do shit. IMO, I think exile is right and you need to focus more on the oil pressure switch. And the VTEC solenoid might need a resistor for when it is engaged( if the light still shows), but the line *should* have zero continuity when not active. I'm not sure if having it constantly grounded through a resistor would still make the ecu cry wolf though.

*I'm only unsure about this shit because it's ten times easier to buy the correct parts for what you need in the first place...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts