Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read multiple threads on here about the zex stage 2 cam and it seems everyone is experiencing the valvetrain noise. It appears setting the valve lash a little tighter can help the noise some, but I was just wondering if anyone has been able to quiet this cam down and if so, how'd you do it?

PS I had a zex stage 2 installed in my d16z6 and put the stock one back in because of this noise

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Just a question??? What does the noise have to do with the perfomance of the cam? Yes you can set the valve lash a little tighter. It may be a little quieter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise has no affect on the performance but if you haven't heard one of these its a very distinct sound...sounds a lot like a diesel truck. I don't know about you but I don't like my civic sounding like a diesel ;)

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
i have one and it sounds just like a stock cam for me.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I understand that. But why wouldnt any other cam make the same noise? Just asking cause I have never had that issue with the Isky or Web cams I have had in the past.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
All of my reground cams had a reduced base circle. I would always set my lash at .006 / .008 never had any issues. I am interested in your set lash too

·
Registered
936 Posts
hearing your rocker getting smashed by your cam isn't normal. and also, that noise is and will be a day of reckoning for your rockers+cam. oh, and it could be your valves smashing their seats. in any case, a zex cam doesn't have what they call "soft ramp rate"; this is what helps prevent cams from being "noisy"

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Or you might have gotten a cam that was ground backwards. Isky had done one for me years ago and they forgot that the motor turns the opposite way. Made lots of power when it ran. Broke a couple springs, a rocker arm, and loosened up a couple valve guides in the process.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
well i got all my stuff (cam, springs, retainers) off ebay and they are just fine.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I had the zex stage 2 cam when i pulled it i noticed the ex lobes were worn excessive!

upon futher inspection the exhuast rockers were hittin the intake rockers causing my noise!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So really there is nothing that can be done with a noisy zex. Sounds like Silverciv got lucky that his is quiet because his lash is set to factory settings. After some of these replies, is it even safe for your engine to run this cam? I guess it has to be cause there's lots of guys running it, but I don't know if I feel good putting it back in my engine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fuck yea its ok to run your cam like that, I have had the 59300 in my car for well over three years and it dose sound like a sewing machine, it dosent hurt anything as long as the lash is set correctly. I just recently took my head off and got a p&P and i inspected all the rocker arm pads and they were absoulutley fine,

·
Registered
956 Posts
I got the 59300 cam. its a bit noisey but it doesn't bother me. mine is set to 8 and 10. zex recommends .007 and .009. I just went a bit looser just incase. with this cam, I can hear my vtec crossover alot better now. maybe one day, I'll get a vid of it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard of lots of people running this cam with no problem. I did notice some good gains with it installed especially high in the rpm band, which is why I was asking the question in the first place. I want those gains back so I was seeing if anyone figured how to get rid of the noise. It looks like there's no way around it other than get a new cam or put up with the noise.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Ill try and tke some videos for yall tomorrow. Ill take one outside the car at idle and rev so yall can see if its loud, then ill go down the road and let yall hear vtec:)

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
I've heard of lots of people running this cam with no problem. I did notice some good gains with it installed especially high in the rpm band, which is why I was asking the question in the first place. I want those gains back so I was seeing if anyone figured how to get rid of the noise. It looks like there's no way around it other than get a new cam or put up with the noise.
ever thought about checking your lost motion assymblys. with higher lift cams they tend to lock up, and allow the vtec rockers to make a shit load of noise when not engaged.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
the noise is just the LMA's bouncing around.......

a good search would have found that info......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts