Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of using E85 when i get boosted or maybe a mixture of 93+e85 mainly just for the octane boost. anyone else doing this or thinkin about it? any1 know if its safe??? or is this just a bad idea...

·
Registered
692 Posts
dont mix. seriously, think about it.

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pretty much. E85 has alot of ethanol, thus the higher octane rating. Ethanol is very harsh on rubber seals. So even diluting it isn't going to make it better. That would be like adding an octane booster to a tank of 93, which once again is harsh on seals because of the ethanol.

Im not an expert. lol
A buddy of mine has been researching the ins and outs for E85 converting so he can do it to his Nissan 240SX. I've just caught a few important things from him.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but i was thinking it wouldn't be as roough on my motor and still give the octane boost. correct me if im wrong but e85 is like 105~110 octane plus the 93 if i went 50/50 id get around 100~102 right? i mean thats how they make mid grade, by mixing premium and regular so maybe im way off here lmk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i know thats how gas stations make mid grade so i thought it'd be the same...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Pretty much. E85 has alot of ethanol, thus the higher octane rating. Ethanol is very harsh on rubber seals. So even diluting it isn't going to make it better. That would be like adding an octane booster to a tank of 93, which once again is harsh on seals because of the ethanol.

Im not an expert. lol
A buddy of mine has been researching the ins and outs for E85 converting so he can do it to his Nissan 240SX. I've just caught a few important things from him.
GOOGLE, its your friend. ;)

but i was thinking it wouldn't be as roough on my motor and still give the octane boost. correct me if im wrong but e85 is like 105~110 octane plus the 93 if i went 50/50 id get around 100~102 right? i mean thats how they make mid grade, by mixing premium and regular so maybe im way off here lmk.
thats a waist. e85 isnt hard on your motor, its actually good for it, way more then the crappy 93 b/s. only thing you need to do is change your oil more regularly. you get the fuel for its octane rating and it ability to cool/slow down the burn. what you would be doing is taking all of the benefits away and leaving the not so great flue economy thats accustomed to e85.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you/would you run e85? i just want a super reliable ride thats why i was curious

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Im not an expert. lol
not really. if you've ran the e85 or know quite a bit about it, you should then know that the Fuel System does not need to be changed except for injectors and fuel pump if you have not changed already.

i have been using it on and off for over a year now and recently just started using it in my boosted d...

it takes 15-20% more fuel than gasoline to correct the fuel burn. i have added 2* of timing to the part throttle and WOT thru boost of 1.75* and .5* step retard for ever psi of boost...

obvisousy letting the car sit with ethanol for a long time will start to gel up and clog the fuel system....

some downsides... on cold starts( i mean sitting for more than 4-5 hrs at a time) it takes a bit to start... LET THE CAR WARM UP BEFORE DRIVING IT IF YOU DECIDED TO USE IT... it will drive like crap and lean the shit out of your motor...

my gas millage dropped from 29-31 to an average of 19mpg while boosted....
non boosted it was up a little to 23.

in boost tables i added 30% more fuel and up the injector duty cycle to compensate.

since the 80's it became mandatory to develop cars capable of handling the caustic fuels such as Ethanol.

Methanol is more Caustic than Ethanol so this would require the upgrade of fuel lines. but NOT Ethanol.

the reason E-85 is 15% gasoline and 85% Ethanol is not because they need to dilute it but rather add lubricant to it.

Ethanol is considered Dry Liquid, meaning no lubricating properties. the 15% gasoline compensates for this.

as for drag cars and racers who run 100% are able to do this because 1) not a daily driver so the motor gets torn apart anyway 2) the fuel does not sit in the tank for some time(not more than a couple hrs) 3) gets flushed out 4) they run other additives such as Benzine to add lubricating property.

as for the oil thing...

change it frequently during the first few thousand miles then go to normal, you ask why? because the ethanol is going to break down all that shit in the combustion chamber and some will be burned and some will blow by the rings into the crankcase.... after that you can do regular maintenance because E-85 is cleaner and burns cleaner... hence not as many Hydrocarbons.

GET that shyt TUNED.... if u run it untuned for a period of time ur motor will grenade. burns leaner than gasoline. so tune for 9-10:1AFR if using a wideband corrected for E-85... if using a WideBand corrected for gasoline. tune it like it would normally be tuned.(hence on gasoline corrected WB, 14.7:1 is stoich and will read the same for the E-85; E-85 corrected WB, 9.7-10:1 is Stoich)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well. Only one way to find out.

Fill up on E85 and report back here on how it runs, hows the gas mileage, and what if any problems are that you end up suffering.

Do it if you trust someones opinion on the internet. Id rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
not really. if you've ran the e85 or know quite a bit about it, you should then know that the Fuel System does not need to be changed except for injectors and fuel pump if you have not changed already.

i have been using it on and off for over a year now and recently just started using it in my boosted d...

it takes 15-20% more fuel than gasoline to correct the fuel burn. i have added 2* of timing to the part throttle and WOT thru boost of 1.75* and .5* step retard for ever psi of boost...

obvisousy letting the car sit with ethanol for a long time will start to gel up and clog the fuel system....

some downsides... on cold starts( i mean sitting for more than 4-5 hrs at a time) it takes a bit to start... LET THE CAR WARM UP BEFORE DRIVING IT IF YOU DECIDED TO USE IT... it will drive like crap and lean the shit out of your motor...

my gas millage dropped from 29-31 to an average of 19mpg while boosted....
non boosted it was up a little to 23.

in boost tables i added 30% more fuel and up the injector duty cycle to compensate.

since the 80's it became mandatory to develop cars capable of handling the caustic fuels such as Ethanol.

Methanol is more Caustic than Ethanol so this would require the upgrade of fuel lines. but NOT Ethanol.

the reason E-85 is 15% gasoline and 85% Ethanol is not because they need to dilute it but rather add lubricant to it.

Ethanol is considered Dry Liquid, meaning no lubricating properties. the 15% gasoline compensates for this.

as for drag cars and racers who run 100% are able to do this because 1) not a daily driver so the motor gets torn apart anyway 2) the fuel does not sit in the tank for some time(not more than a couple hrs) 3) gets flushed out 4) they run other additives such as Benzine to add lubricating property.
you said youve been using it on and off have u had problems with it? also, would u suggest using e85

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
you said youve been using it on and off hace u had problems with it? also, would u suggest using e85
no i didnt have problems with it except tuning it and the inconvenience of getting it. i have to drive 20 miles to get it. thats the only problem...

tuning it takes patience especially with no dyno.

if you can get it tuned right and have it readily available, then yes use it. just be warned you most likely will fail emissions with it due to the car not a FFV. pretty big fine for using it on a non FFV... there is one EPA approved conversion kit for it, all the others worsen the emissions. check local laws about it before using it. and make sure you have at least a basemap before u fill it up...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well. Only one way to find out.

Fill up on E85 and report back here on how it runs, hows the gas mileage, and what if any problems are that you end up suffering.

Do it if you trust someones opinion on the internet. Id rather be safe than sorry.
or a pussy ?? lol

its hard to start at first, but thats why you have cranking/coolant temp tables. i got 22.5mpg on my first tank. with analy raping it while tuning of course.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no i didnt have problems with it except tuning it and the inconvenience of getting it. i have to drive 20 miles to get it. thats the only problem...

tuning it takes patience especially with no dyno.

if you can get it tuned right and have it readily available, then yes use it. just be warned you most likely will fail emissions with it due to the car not a FFV. pretty big fine for using it on a non FFV... there is one EPA approved conversion kit for it, all the others worsen the emissions. check local laws about it before using it. and make sure you have at least a basemap before u fill it up...
well i dont have to worry bout emisions testing round here(IN)
i wasn't planning on up'n my fuel pump though i was told i didn't have to runing 8lbs from a 16g but i guess id need it running e85 cuz id need more than i would using gas right?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
well i dont have to worry bout emisions testing round here(IN)
i wasn't planning on up'n my fuel pump though i was told i didn't have to runing 8lbs from a 16g but i guess id need it running e85 cuz id need more than i would using gas right?
i run 7lbs and stock fuel pump but 450cc injectors. wat size are ur injectors? and Fuel Pressure?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts