Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 95 dx hatch awhile back just for gas mileage. I have a bunch of parts stockpiled to put on, but I've spent the past month experimenting with driving style to get high mpg.

My last tank I got 47.1mpg with 2/3hwy, 1/3 cty. Still completely stock and even with a random miss if I punch the gas too hard.

Next task will be install the tokicos and some springs to drop it, along with making some cool underbody sheetmetal for aerodynamics.

Then I'll put on the intake/header/exhaust that's also taking up space in my garage.

Any one else going for MPG, or am I the lone MPG performance guy here? I'm pretty amazed at what these Hondas can do. 13 year old car with 175k miles, just get in and drive and pull 45+ mpg.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i'm in the process of tuning my vacuum maps for better mpg. this past week i calculated it and i got 26.25mpg all city driving and i hit 14psi regularly :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm in the process of tuning my vacuum maps for better mpg. this past week i calculated it and i got 26.25mpg all city driving and i hit 14psi regularly :D
I get similar (26-27) in my v6 boosted mx3, but I have no method to tune the civic at the moment.

I was considering putting in a wideband, and afpr then lowering the fuel pressure to see if I could lean out the mixture within reason. I was also considering putting in a vac gauge as a rough way to monitor throttle position.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I sort of go for MPG since it's like a 20min commute to work on the highway for me. I don't really calculate it all of the time. Best was 57MPG hwy(200mi trip) following a semi but it's usually around 50MPG/hwy. Lightweight ftw! Engine mods are pretty much just bolt-ons and cruise RPM is ~3500-4000RPM.

My brother got an average of like 40 or 45MPG(combined...mostly hwy though) in his CX. He now has a D15B7 in there but hasn't drove it yet due to no TB.

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Any one else going for MPG, or am I the lone MPG performance guy here? I'm pretty amazed at what these Hondas can do. 13 year old car with 175k miles, just get in and drive and pull 45+ mpg.
i am with a couple of my VX d15z1 cars :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sort of go for MPG since it's like a 20min commute to work on the highway for me. I don't really calculate it all of the time. Best was 57MPG hwy(200mi trip) following a semi but it's usually around 50MPG/hwy. Lightweight ftw! Engine mods are pretty much just bolt-ons and cruise RPM is ~3500-4000RPM.
57 is real good. That's about where my goal is after I add the struts/springs and i/h/e. Hopefully I can get to that.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
i let my geo metro handle all the mpg lol.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
i'm shooting for GPM. lol.

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
i think bone is getting the best mileage of all of us. i'm keepin tabs on mpg's while i go through the various stages of my build.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I havent went through a whole tank in mine yet. but the way it is looking right now I will be getting somewhere in the high 30mpg. like 37-39mpg. I got a 1994 Civic EX stock D16Z6 other than Short Ram and Cat Back right now. But I am hoping to turn up the mpg after I start getting more money to put into it.

I s37-39mpg good for what I got? I do 1/2 highway, 1/2 city

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You should check out gassavers.org. There's a bunch of diehard mpg guys over there.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Speaking of saving gas; my brother wants to rebuild his CX engine and I suggested getting a D15Z1. Which one do you guys think have a better potential(I've never driven or rode in a Z1)?

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
z1 will beat on the 8-valve cx motor and get better mileage while doing it

if you aren't driving around a fuel efficient car around town every day
i think you're a ricer with no respect for anyone but your lousy self
more power to your bs
sorry i'm actually pointing my frustration at suv's and the like...
worthless piles of _ _ _ _

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
wow some nice MPG's in here! self-tuned with 10:1 compression and 10lbs of boost i get 33-34 all city, and 38.5 highway. and i thought that was pretty good!

-Luke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love the honda mileage even with the turbo'd ones. In the realm of gas mileage "There's no replacement for low displacement" :)

Since I bought this Honda they've really grown on me. Pretty amazing cars. Looks like I could even make it fast and maintain high efficiency.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts