Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Sushi making starter kit. Because I want to try and make my own. I love Sushi and would eat it on a daily basis if I could afford to. Since I like it so much I figured I would try my hand at making my own. So I was wondering does anyone on here make their own Sushi if so what? and how? Where do you buy your fish? Or other ingredients? That's for any input guys. :chinese::chinese::chinese:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I make my own once in a while. You need to get sashimi grade fish, hit up an Asian market if the sashimi grade stuff isn't frozen don't get it. Spicy tuna is really easy, chop up some tuna into 1/4" cubes then smash up. You can do it all smashed or 1/2... Whatever consistency you like. Then take some rooster sauce a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil. If you want it creamy you can do a small amount of kewpie mayo.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I would love to make my own sushi but it seems like one of those things your better off paying for, I don't like plain sushi like california rolls or tune rolls and I don't really like soy sauce on mine, I like the sweet sauces that sushi places put on certain rolls. I love mountain rolls and lily rolls which I doubt I would be willing to make

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonights dinner didn't make it but I talked with the chefs about where they buy the fish they use and gave me some good new leads 1st of the year I will start posting up some pics of my handy work hopefully

Attachments

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
How to choose "fresh fish" How to Buy Fresh Fish: 10 Steps - wikiHow
Use Medium -to- Short Grain rice for starchy factor unless you like flaky/crumbly sushi (long grain). Rinse properly, apply the right amount of water (finger method), buy/use a rice cooker for best results. Fresh fish is Fresh fish no matter where you buy them. its the particular cuts that you shoul worry about. Things like fatty content/ how fishy you like your fish taste/textures which could be Personal preference driven. Did your kit come with silicon mat also?

You need to get sashimi grade fish, hit up an Asian market if the sashimi grade stuff isn't frozen don't get it. .
^Partially incorrect.

Tonights dinner didn't make it but I talked with the chefs about where they buy the fish they use and gave me some good new leads 1st of the year I will start posting up some pics of my handy work hopefully

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kit comes with a book a DVD a bamboo mat 2 sets of chop sticks and a rice stirring spoon to cool the rice down not real sure on everything its a Christmas gift from the wife just caught a quick glimpse of it? We will see soon what all I get.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of sushi is not raw. Even if it is raw fish it is cured or salted.
Most of the sushi I eat or order I get Raw! I don't get many that have been cooked or cured, but yes you are correct most sushi has some form of cooking before its served.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How to choose "fresh fish" How to Buy Fresh Fish: 10 Steps - wikiHow
Use Medium -to- Short Grain rice for starchy factor unless you like flaky/crumbly sushi (long grain). Rinse properly, apply the right amount of water (finger method), buy/use a rice cooker for best results. Fresh fish is Fresh fish no matter where you buy them. its the particular cuts that you shoul worry about. Things like fatty content/ how fishy you like your fish taste/textures which could be Personal preference driven. Did your kit come with silicon mat also?

^Partially incorrect.
You are right, it doesn't need to be frozen but I just don't trust Asian markets with thawed out fish. Peace of mind goes a long way.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm getting close to having all of my ingredients to start making my own sushi and man am I ready

Attachments

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my first attempt at sushi just used crab prawn avocado and cucumber but I think it turned out great for the first attempt

Attachments

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried some angry orchard with my sushi and my 5 year old daughter ate two whole rolls by her self and was asking for more the son tired it but it just wasn't for him got my sister to eat it after she said she would never touch it and she's in love and wants to know when I'm makin more

Attachments

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
This thread is making me HUNGRY!

I made my own sushi a while back and it turned out great. Mmmmm, ginger and wasabi. And strange as it is my oldest likes sushi. She's so picky but the ex and I took her to a local place and she ate like a pig. We had to order twice. LOL!

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that I know how easy it is and fun not to mention cheap spent like $30 on all the food and supplies and fed 5 people for two days at two meals I will be making sushi at least once a week need to drive to Tulsa which is about 75 miles to get fish fresh enough to make some tuna, white tail, yellow tail, salmon, and makerla rolls plus whatever else I can find. I think I finally found myself a in the house hobby other than my bone cleaning lol

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
I didn't make this. I just had to get my Mercury fix!

My roommate and I are gonna make some rolls on New Year's Day. It's gonna be awesome!

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well looks like I might be making more sushi tonight the wife has been begging me all week to make her some and I just sold some gauges so sushi it is for dinner tonight going to look and see if I can find some spicy mayo around this town or something to add more color and flavor!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts