Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Y8 manifold and head for a mini-me in my daily driver, but i'm wondering if it would be worth it to put the Y8 onto my real project car and put the Z6 onto my mini-me, the project car is turbocharged with internals, just wonder if it'd make enough difference to make it worth it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmm, maybe i should switch around eventually, i've heard the Y8 was the best for flow, but i'm assuming it's people that looked at it and said "Oh, bigger plentum, it must be better". What kind of mods are you on (assuming it's the 127whp car in your sig and that it's N/A)? I'm guessing the Y8 actually does make better power, but it's after porting, cam, ect. I'd bet the Y8 would work better for my turbo car.

T

·
0 Posts
I've always wondered if the Y8 manifold offers that much more top-end gains...

I am in the midst of building a D16Y8 turbo setup, but because this car is my bro's and he drives though rush hour gridlock most of the time, all he wants is low-end torque. Power is good, but the powerband is going to be a huge low-end rush everytime he gets on the throttle to pass someone or slip through traffic.

As fascinating as this sounds, I am planning on building a 160-180 WHP turbo setup, but all focused on low-end and midrange torque. I am thinking of downgrading to the Z6 manifold and see if I can get more torque down low with some expense of high-end. The turbo selection would be a puny GT25R, 2" charge pipes with a nice small FMIC.

I really want to see if I can get more low-end torque than the current JRSC setup at 9 psi. The JRSC gets boost soon, but it never hauls like a turbo setup at the lower-mid RPM's. It is only turbos which give that nice "fat hill" type of powerband and I really want to build a torquey setup :)

Any more data between the Y8 and Z6 IM?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you only want low end torque, downgrade to a Y7 IM! Shitty design but it is the best low-end torque intake for a d-serie engine IMO!!!!

·
Random Hero
2,624 Posts
The z6 has equal length runners compared to the y8, but the y8 has a much larger plenum.

I'd stick with the z6 and a larger TB, personally.

Search honda-tech, for 'd16y8 manifold' (or some variant) there is some good info posted there about it. A guy measured the volumes and then some dyno tests as well, but the dyno's are mixed up with other parts as well. But after reading around about it, I don't hold the y8 in any high regard any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts