Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am thinking to do a jdm d15b motor swap into my 92 EG hatch. I just want to here some opinions and experiences of anyone here in this board that have boosted a d15b motor. Before anything, I want to change the water pump and timing belt on this motor and also go for ARP headstuds. As for the timing belt, water pump, and headstuds...do I use the one for the d16z6 applications? Cause, I heard the d15b is almost the same as the d16z6. Is this true? What psi have you guys boosted your d15b? You think 10-12 psi would be safe for this motor in stock? If you guys can share any more info or problems that I could possible face with this motor, that would be great. Thanks guys.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
10 psi is too high...run half a bar until its built

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic DX
752 Posts
it all depends on the turbo set up

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
Engine peformance always plays its part but everything is relied on ur tranny Boost levels could fuk it up if u dnt replace the gasket and throw in some head studs but to be honest i will built it up before throwin in some ARP thats just IMO

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click...

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23408

Ran that setup for almost 40k miles.
nice numbers mang, i didnt know this motor has a lot of potential for power. before the swap...i am thinking to change my water pump and timing belt. i dont know what to tell the Honda dealership..since it is a jdm motor. do i ask for the z6 water pump/timing belt? also, i might throw in some ARP headstuds...do i use for the z6 applications as well? i would like to build the motor, but really i would like to just keep it stock. my turbo kit that i am putting on this motor is td04-15g, 450 cc injectors, intecooler, and 3" dp and exhaust. u think this motor can handle @ least 11-12 psi stock? thanks for the info mang.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tuning will be the key... but you can run 10-12 if you have a good tuner and all the right parts...
i am gonna use crome, when i tune this. can you give me some of the right parts? i really wanna invest on some ARP headstuds, though i would just like to keep the motor stock. thanks man.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a jdm d15b turbo,,,i run 9psi on it and it completely stock and i have no problems,,you dont have to change the water pump it up to you,,the arp headstuds is a good idea,,if you wanna run over 10 psi safely you can get some better rods,the headstuds and a better head gasket and tune it properly and you good

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i am gonna use crome, when i tune this. can you give me some of the right parts?
for a stock mild boost (10*-12*) set-up:

proper engine managment (crome/uber/aem..etc)
arp head studs
2 step cooler plugs
new or at least not a bad fuel filter/oil filter/tune-up/oil
at least a stg.1 clutch

complete the following prior to the install of the kit:
oil change
trans fluid change
new wires/cap/rotor

just my .02

·
Registered
14,661 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was boosting my stock Jdm D15b on 12psi tuned on hondata s300 for 8 months on 91 oct daily and everytime i drove it i was booting left and right. The only internal mod i had was arp heastuds. After 8 months i got tired of 12 pounds so i turned the knob on the boost controller knowing that this little sucker was going to give and the little bugger gave out, threw a rod and cracked the block at 14.4psi that was the last boost record that the profec b-spec showed. My buddy is running his stock Jdm D15b on 10 psi tuned on the s300 also since april without a problem the only internal mod he has are arp headstuds and the zex 59300 cam he made 225 hp and 195 tq on 9.8 psi. So 10 psi is something u could do without a problem just get a good EMS with a good tune and youll be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I have a JDM D15B which I Pumped 15psi on stock internals .All you gotta do is get your ECU Chipped,upgrade your stock fuel pump,Set yor Plug gap to about .020 and your on .for me i never encounted any problems and my engine ran very smothly.my best time with this engine on a 96 4Dr EK was 13.25

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi I have a JDM D15B which I Pumped 15psi on stock internals .All you gotta do is get your ECU Chipped,upgrade your stock fuel pump,Set yor Plug gap to about .020 and your on .for me i never encounted any problems and my engine ran very smothly.my best time with this engine on a 96 4Dr EK was 13.25
congrats mang, nice time 1/4 time. i already have a chipped ECU, bought a walboro fuel pump...just needs to installed and my plugs are 2 stage colder and set at that gap. i know you kept the internals stock..did you at least change your headgasket? invested on some arp headstuds? what program did you use for tuning? also, i really want to change the timing belt/water pump while the motor is out right now. which motor is equivalent for the d15b in means of changing the water pump/timing belt...the z6 or vx motor? thanks for the info man.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 20 of 37 Posts