Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P2187 and P2189

I have alldata at work. but man do I miss identifix (you can fix cars with this alone) and iatn. indentifix was even adding R&R, specs., TSB's, etc.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
BAMM!...HOLD ON, THERES A COUPLE MORE

Hotline Archive With OEM Direct diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures
Print Preview
with Comments
Print with
Comments

Number: 469978
Vehicle Application: 2008 Santa FE 2.7

Customer Concern: The vehicle starts hard after putting fuel in the tank. There is a fuel system lean at idle (bank one) code P2187 and a fuel system lean at idle (bank two) code P2189 stored.
Average Reported Mileage: 46123
Tests/Procedures: 1. Test the canister purge solenoid to see if it sticks open. The canister purge solenoid is normally closed and opens when it is energized. Verify that you can not blow through the canister purge solenoid, energize it and it will open. Cycle it on and off several times to see if it will stick open.
Author: Robert Johnson
Technician Biography
Robert Johnson Bob worked at an independent repair facility while attending Century College. After graduating with a degree in Automotive Technology in 1989, he began working at a Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru dealer specializing in Hyundai., Bob remained at that dealership for 10 years before moving on to a Hyundai and Dodge dealership where he stayed for 9 years before joining Identifix. Bob is a certified Platinum Hyundai technician as well as an ASE Master and L1 technician. Bob has built and destroyed a few mud trucks and enjoys spending time with his wife and 3 sons going camping, fishing, hunting, snowmobiling and motorcycling.

Diagnostic Codes

P2187
P2189
Potential Causes With OEM Direct diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures

Canister Purge Solenoid

Confirmed Fix Summary With OEM Direct diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures

Confirmed Fix
5 - Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid/Valve

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Number: 496769
Vehicle Application: 2007 Santa FE 2.7

Customer Concern: The check engine light was on with an Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow code P0441. Tested the canister purge valve to be good and cleared the code. Test drove it and no codes set. Drove it the next day and it set a System Too Lean (Bank 1) code P0171, a System Too Rich (Bank 1) code P0172, a System Too Lean (Bank 2) code P0174, a System Too Rich (Bank 2) code P0175, a System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 1) code P2187, a System Too Rich at Idle (Bank 1) code P2188, a System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 2) code P2189 and a System Too Rich at Idle (Bank 2) code P2190.
Average Reported Mileage: 91000
Tests/Procedures: 1. Remove and test the canister purge valve. Apply voltage to one terminal and suck on it, it should hold vacuum. Pulse a ground to the other terminal about 30 times and see if it ever leaks vacuum when it is not energized.

2. Inspect the intake air tube while it is off for cracks or loose clamps.

3. Clear the adaptive fuel memory with a scan tool or disconnect the battery and touch the cables together for 2 minutes. Let the vehicle idle for a while and see if the fuel trims go rich or lean. Drive the vehicle at a steady speed and see if the fuel trims go rich or lean.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Hotline Archive With OEM Direct diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures
Print Preview
with Comments
Print with
Comments

Number: 494468
Vehicle Application: 2007 Santa FE 2.7

Customer Concern: The check engine light is on with a System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 1) code P2187 and a System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 2) code P2189. The short term fuel trim is 18% and 20% and the long term fuel trim is 25%. The fuel pressure is good and can't find any vacuum leaks.
Average Reported Mileage: 120000
Tests/Procedures: 1. Start the vehicle and monitor the fuel trims at idle and pinch off vacuum lines one at a time to see if the fuel trim will go down. It might take a minute or so for it to adjust. Use propane around the intake while monitoring the fuel trim also.

2. Monitor the fuel trims at steady cruise speed to see if the fuel trims stay high or if they come down. If it is also lean off idle, monitor the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor to be about 3.3 grams per second at idle, about 10 grams per second at 2000 RPM and about 13 grams per second at 3000 RPM.
Author: Robert Johnson
Technician Biography
Robert Johnson Bob worked at an independent repair facility while attending Century College. After graduating with a degree in Automotive Technology in 1989, he began working at a Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru dealer specializing in Hyundai., Bob remained at that dealership for 10 years before moving on to a Hyundai and Dodge dealership where he stayed for 9 years before joining Identifix. Bob is a certified Platinum Hyundai technician as well as an ASE Master and L1 technician. Bob has built and destroyed a few mud trucks and enjoys spending time with his wife and 3 sons going camping, fishing, hunting, snowmobiling and motorcycling.

Diagnostic Codes

P2187
P2189
Potential Causes With OEM Direct diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures

Brake Booster

Canister Purge Valve

Intake Manifold Gasket(s)

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

Guest: i dont feel comfortable handing out the password, but whenever you need some info send me an email, send me one now so i can save your contact

[email protected]

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the pcv hose and it did not fix the problem. I pinched off the brake booster hose, nothing. pinched off the purge control valve and STFT and LTFT went below 10%. Remove hose pliers back up to 15-20%

Blow threw the purge valve and off air blows through. have actuation test that turns it off and on to test intermittent leakage. fail. Purge control valve leaking. 6 confirmed fixes.

Identifix ROCKS!!!!!!! Esp. when people post fixes.

No where in the DTC repair guide, manufacturer or alldata says to test the purge valve.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Dude!!!!! For real man email me!...well I guess fluffing the post count is good too!

I'll see if I can copy/paste on my phone...

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Vehicle Application:
2001 Accent 1.6
Customer Concern:
Repeated code P0121. Came in with a broken timing belt and some bent valves. Did the repairs and now has this code. It won't go into overdrive while driving. This is a DOHC and doesn’t have a mass airflow sensor, it uses a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. During warm-up, it will hesitate and spit and pop a couple of times and then takes off, and it is fine for the rest of the drive.
Average Reported Mileage:
Tests/Procedures:
1. Check fuel pressure.

2. Check engine vacuum. If vacuum is low, check for possible timing belt off a tooth.

3. Scope the throttle position sensor signal for glitches.
Author:
Guy Dibble

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
P0103 Volume Airflow Sensor Circuit High Voltage
Possible Causes Setting Conditions
MAF sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
MAF sensor signal circuit is shorted to voltage
MAF sensor ground circuit is open
MAF sensor has failed (it may be contaminated or dirty)
PCM has failed
Engine speed more than 540 rpm; system voltage from 11-16v, ECT signal more than 140ºF, Lambda control active, and the PCM detected the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor signal was more than the threshold MAF sensor value stored in memory.

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
Malfunction Indicator Lamp
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) alerts the driver that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected an OBD II emission-related component or system fault. When this type of malfunction occurs, an OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set by the PCM. The MIL is located on the instrument cluster and is labeled CHECK ENGINE, SERVICE ENGINE SOON, or is identified with an ISO standard engine symbol (i.e., a picture of an engine).
Bulb Test
Each time the ignition switch is turned to the "on" position, the MIL indicator is illuminated for about 3 seconds (which is a function of the PCM).
MIL Lamp-On Message
Each time the PCM detects an Emissions related fault, the MIL is illuminated to inform the driver that the vehicle needs to be taken in for service.

COMPONENT MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
Do not turn off the ignition switch during the test procedure.
All Onboard Diagnostic Monitors are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is cleared with the Scan Tool.
This drive cycle can be used to determine if the Readiness code for this Monitor will run and complete, and if the MIL will remain off after the vehicle is driven.
Operating Ranges: When a range of values is provided, try to operate the vehicle in the middle of the range. For example, if the vehicle speed range calls for 45-55 mph, drive the vehicle as close as possible to 50 mph. If the engine speed should be 1,000-2,000 rpm, try to operate the engine at 1,500 rpm.
Scan Tool Data: There are certain Parameter Identification (PID) values that must be within range before this Monitor will "run". It can be helpful to pull up those PID items on the Scan Tool so an assistant can view them during testing.
The Readiness code for this Monitor defaults to "continuous" or "monitoring" because this Monitor runs continuously when the engine is cranking or running.

COMPONENT MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS
MIL is off.
No Emission related DTC's are present.
ECT sensor signal from 0-104ºF at startup
IAT sensor between 40-100ºF.

TEST PROCEDURE
Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the OBD Monitors.
Start the engine and allow it to run at idle speed for 15 seconds.
Accelerate at part-throttle to 40 mph and maintain that speed for several minutes. Bring the vehicle to a stop, and then allow the engine to idle with the transmission in Drive (in Neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes.
Then accelerate at moderate throttle to 50 mph and maintain that speed for 15 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop, and then accelerate to 40 mph and maintain that speed for 15 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop and allow the engine to idle for 15 seconds. Repeat this step at least 3 times.
Check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, the Component Monitor test is complete. If any Pending codes are set, refer to the appropriate trouble code repair information to make the repair.

No confirmed fixes for the 103 tho....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts