Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
actually two studs on the passenger front wheel, i know to take the caliper and rotor off but can the studs be replaced without taking the hub off. also the studs didn't actually break they just kept turning with the lug and i ended up having to cut the lugs to get the wheel off, replacing the lugs is all i need to do right or is something else wrong. thanks in advance

p.s. can you just drill out those little screws that hold the rotor on or is there an easier way than a big screw driver and wd-40, i don't have access to an impact.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
DREMEL!

grind off the 'lip' at the bottom of the new stud and you can just pound the new studs in with a hammer. This will work for original size studs, extended studs require you to remove the hub...

yes, you can drill out the impact driver screws (i've had to do this on several cars)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what keeps the studs from moving once you pound them in. because when i was taking the lugs off the actual stud itself was just turning with the lug nut. what holds them in place??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i hope this works since my studs didn't actually break! they were just turning round and round which i think that means that the actual stud is stripped and i should just be able to pound a new stud in and everything will be cool.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
the stud has little grooves that it sits in on the hub doesnt it?
correct. the wheel stud is splined to the hub (you'll see the splines when you buy a new stud)

the bad news; if the stud is just spinning in place, you may have stripped out these splines in the hub :( have you had any jank shops work on your car lately that may have tightened you lugnuts with an impact? i hate fuckers that do this.. may be my #1 automotive pet peeve actually...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I ALWAYS tighten my lugnuts with an impact.....................

.......then go back with a TQ wrench and put them at 85 ft/lbs :)

My impact set on 2.5 is about 60-75 ft/lbs depending on tank pressure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you think it more likely that i stripped the wheel stud splines or the actual hub. it seems to me that the wheel stud splines would strip before the hub splines but maybe not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts