Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got a quick question.. I need to replace the power steering rack in my car and I've never had to mess with a rack in a civic before. According to the FSM you can kinda fish it out without dropping the subframe if you're non ABS, and I've also heard it's better to drop the whole front subframe. Anybody have experience with this? By the way it'll be done in a driveway with a jack and jackstands... Car is a 1995 Civic Ex, non ABS. I'm not sure how big of a pita it would be to drop the whole subframe... Any help appreciated :bigok:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
I've done it both ways.

Manual rack = no need to drop the subframe, fished it out in about 1/2 hour total.

PS rack = were we changing to a manual rack so subframe was changed.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, i'm wondering now if that p/s rack would come out without the subframe.. how big of a deal was it to drop the subframe? Thanks for the input :td:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
dropping the subframe WILL require two people and same to get it back in.

Think of doing a benchpress, someone has to hold it up.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah, i got ya

thanks boner

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
bones is right make sure to have another person to install the subframe. i did do this by myself and a jack to hold it up but man what a payne and took forever. lol good luck bro

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I would rep y'all but i gotta spread some around

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
Thanks guys, I would rep y'all but i gotta spread some around
I have also dropped and reinstalled a subframe by myself. Its definitely not the preferred method, but it is do-able.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts