Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a guy selling a set of 93' miata wheels with tires for 200$ (they are 12.3 lbs) but i guess that the hubs on our cars are to large and the miata wheels would have to be bored out to fit on our cars. I have read about people using dremels, rotary tools etc. our hub size is 56.10mm and the miata's is 54.06mm so a little over two mm's would have to take out of the miata wheels to make them fit. you guys think this could be done? what tools would you use? how would you guys do this? any thoughts are appreciated. thanks

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
good grinder (Metabo) and a good bit, takes about 10 minutes per wheel and will no longer be hubcentric.......which is find with me, the rims will be getting 20x6x14 drag slicks.

In order to PROPERLY have the hubs bored, which I would do on a street car, the tires HAVE to be dismounted, then the rims taken to the machine shop, then back to the tire shop.

$200 rims and tires doesn't semm like a good deal after all that work now does it?

Beside, my Miata hollow spoke rim were only $10 a piece :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the wheel will still center on the hub though right?? i mean the tapered lugs will still put the wheel to center, and as long as i get the wheel rebalance then i should be good to go.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I got the same rims. I took some pics for a thread on HT:

What the guy that I bought it from did was just use a hole saw. I was told the bore already has beveled edges so it kept the hole saw centered with no problems; and you don't need to go too deep. I've had zero balance issues.

You can take it to a shop if you're iffy about doing it yourself.

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
dont forget the hole diameter is divided in 2 when radiusing a circle
56.10 - 54.06 = 2.04 different in diameter
1.02 off the edge all the way around

1 - 9 of 9 Posts