Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1990 CRX DX
126 Posts
i Have a super tiny crank pulley on my DOHC ZC No PS, NO AC only hold one tiny belt for the alternator , its billet , i got it from DH-RACING.com it was said to add 15whp with removal of ac and PS , i felt a bit more power from it , takes weight off the crank !

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
yes I had one for a while. unless your engine is SUPER low miles DONT TOUCH THE CRANK PULLEY. I swaped back to stock at 113,000 miles same night I got a hole in the block after a rod blew out of the front.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I have the 3 belt unorthodox, Some people say it unbalance the crankshaft... others say that will fuse your alternator...

I have it on my d16 never had issue of that kind. Unorthodox is balanced pulley that means it won't create any vibration over rotation. So there is no vibration transmitted to the crankshaft.

:D

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Bad news....unless building a new engine....chances are on an old engine...it will throw the hermonics off....i wouldnt touch it....Stock for me regardless...just Turbo ur car to get the power you need....N/a build if u are looking into doing this....and looking ot squezze 15 more WHP then u have already spent too much money and should have gone turbo...

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Bad news....unless building a new engine....chances are on an old engine...it will throw the hermonics off....i wouldnt touch it....Stock for me regardless...just Turbo ur car to get the power you need....N/a build if u are looking into doing this....and looking ot squezze 15 more WHP then u have already spent too much money and should have gone turbo...
pretty much sums it all up:TU:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I would go unorthodox.

basicly when an engine is breaking in the bearings get worn in a certain way(depending on how pully dampens.

now the unorthodox will dampen differently then stock if you switch from one to the other after the bearings "settle" it may cause problems.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
I think not everything on the internet can be trusted :D

I bought an ebay crank pulley for like $20, milled the ends off at work so it was just a one-belt setup for the alternator. That was at 151,xxx which was roughly 24,000 miles ago.

It weighs a heck of a lot less than the stocker. Even though I have a crapomatic, it revs quicker than it did with the old pulley (including the a/c). The only problem was I forgot to mark the TDC mark in my haste. Luckily the whole top end is coming off here next month.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
my experience with underdrive pulleys proves to me that this whole underdrive pulley thing is just a myth
here is my personal experience :

belive what you want.

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
still not convinced that was caused by underdrive pulleys (unothrodox racing anyways)like already mentioned i have the 1 groove model over 300000 miles and still no issues at all

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
theres no noticable difference for the amount of effort involved
when I put the stocker back on the car feelt waaaay noicably slower in the 5000+ rpm region.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
still not convinced that was caused by underdrive pulleys (unothrodox racing anyways)like already mentioned i have the 1 groove model over 300000 miles and still no issues at all
Yea, lets ignore the fact that many people, although not all(maybe not even half), have had problems. If I bought, say a E36 BMW, and my interior stays intact even though half of everybody else's interior falls apart(for those that don't know, they're notorious for that), does that mean there's no problem with the interior and it's just a myth? Are they too rough on their BMW?

Thing is, there's a CHANCE that something can go wrong. ie; say the UR pulleys have a 10% fail rate(theoretical), would you take the chance of being part of that 10%? If you want to run them, go ahead, but don't ignore other's first hand experience; take them into consideration.

The pulleys don't really throw the harmonics off so to say, there's just no damper to dampen the vibration(effects the oil pump, which effects the bearings, which will effect the connecting rods).

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
theres no noticable difference for the amount of effort involved
how hard is it to change a pulley? don't see any kind of damper on my stock d15 pulley its just a piece of steel with NO rubber at all...any kind of modification reduces reliability to some degree, and even if there was on a honda its not there was dampening reasons as hondas are internally balanced not externally like a domestic v8 its there for the same reason honda puts resonator on its car ... just my experience but was one of the best mods i did to my crx..

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
A stock D15 crank pulley is nothing more than a 2-belt solid pulley.

A stock D16 crank pulley has a harmonic dampener in it. It's tiny, but it's there.

My Z6 didn't like the SRD 1-belt pulley I had on it. I spun the #4 rod bearings less than 10,000 miles after installing it. The engine had less than 100,000 when I got it. #3 and #2 looked sketchy. The main bearings all had weird wear as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts