Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
fa5 si e92 335is
869 Posts
I think Mitsubishi makes one of the best turbos out there on the road, they take abuse well and not like the smokey t3/t4 turbos and also they always make good power to torque curves.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Am trying to find new Turbos to experiment with.
Requirements they should be small. (Quick Spool) water cooled, and cheap lol.

A compressor map for this turbo would be nice.
Am hunting thru the net right now for one.

(No map yet but seems to be close to a 13G).
Sounds like you're on the right track... the 1st gen DSM AT turbo cars used the 13g for a faster spool than the 14b 5spd. Even though both had 2.0L engines, the smaller turbo was used to spool lower for improved performance with the AT drivetrain. BTW, they also used 390cc injectors as opposed to the 450cc ones on the MT cars. Can't remember if the rail pressures were the same or not, as it's been a while since I have done any tweaking on a stock 1g AT car.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
are you talking about the 9b that came on the Autos ?
I have one of those. But based on the flow map I think it will choke in the higher RPMs even on a 1.5
Here in the US the autos had a 13g- sounds like you had a different turbo there. It used a TD04 housing like the one the OP mentioned instead of the TD05 housing the 14b uses. I'd have to look up a 9b to see how it compares.

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
I have one of these turbos (well two actually if you count the one that's already on my forester). I have considered using the spare on my honda so I am interested in the info here as well.

A few things I have noticed have not been brought up yet are:

The Subaru OEM manifold that this is mounted to is very long. Including the up-pipe and crosspipe going to the driver side bank i would estimate the length about 3 to 4 feet total.

This turbo is mounted in an "upward" position on the Subaru. Similar to the way criptopher had it mounted. If a shorter "log" or "mini ram" style manifold was used the turbine housing would need to be rotated I imagine.

I have also heard that there are detents or alignment pegs that would need to be ground down or removed in order to change the turbine or compressor housing orientations.

I'm not sure if any of this info helps, but since I didn't see it mentioned already I figured I would chime in.

·
Registered
ej2
1,388 Posts
yeah removing the alignment pin is easy. if it doesn't just pull out you just file it, or grind it off. Also, the 9b only came with the 3000gt/stealth vr4s. the auto eclipse came with the 13g, like the one I'm using for my build. also some volvos came with 13g with a t3 flange. course that's all here in America.

·
Registered
2000 EX Civic VTEC
1 Posts
Hi guys Im new to this site. I would just like to shed some experience on spool times on the DSM turbos. I have always used these turbos for my civic even my truck(Dakota RT RIP). The spool time on these turbos are very fast up to the 18g. Thats with the stock turbine wheel and housing which is a 7cm/49ar. Although I haven't been below a 14B. I can tell you 14B to 18G with no upgrades to the turbo's I was seeing boost from 1600 to 2000rpm. These turbo's are excellent for low end power but will stop pulling at 5000 to 5200rpm. Thats why my current build with the upgraded larger turbine wheel(11 blades stock is 12 blades and smaller) on a 18g billet wheel I see boost at 4800rpm, but it pulled harder then a freight train. I never saw the end of the powerband and i was in 4th gear, 6000rpm at 110mph. This was amazing how this upgrade wanted more boost. I use Vitara pistons so that kinda effects spool time. The newer turbine wheel has 9 blades with way better flow. I'm still waiting on this turbine wheel. I also upgraded to a 20g billet wheel. I'm very excited to see the results after a tune. All in all I like these turbo's and will continue with them. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for sharing. Yes I had calculated the choke point to be arround 5500 RPM with the smaller Turbo even on my 1.5

Present unit. Goes positive by 3000. And things really start to go loco by 5000.
Im just curious by the stories where people start to build boost by X RPM and 1000 RPM latter they are at peak boost. This bit I haven't cracked yet.
How people go from 1 PSI to 10-15 PSI in the span off 1000 RPM.
I am on a high duration cam. Maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Question I have both a 13c off a Volvo and a 20g I'm only running 7 psi at the moment because its 10.5 to 1 and on stock 1.5 rods. I have a precision 60 63 a/r ball bearing on my car now but it not mine And I'm haveing to give it back soon I been tring to decide shock one would work better I thought the precision had a little too much lag for my driving style do you think the Volvo turbo would hold 7 psi to 7000 rpm or should I just put the 20g on it and call it good. I read on a few Volvo forums that this turbo maxes out at 12 psi on there 2v 2.3L.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
548 Posts
The exhaust housing on a td04 from a wrx is pretty small, a 19t compressor may surge. I was planning on up grading my turbo to one, but lost interest do to the EPA shitting on my county.
Now it's on to a drag car for experiments and a far better turbo in my opinion the evo 8 turbo and evo 9.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts