Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy has a 98 chevy blazer with a 4.3 vortech engine. we got up here, and on occasion the thing won't start. It starts for a second, idles, and dies. But when we went back a little bit later, it would start right up. does anybody have any idea what could be going on with? if you've got any ideas, we'd appreciate it. thanks guys!

B

·
0 Posts
i know chevy's

sounds like a fuel filter to me.....could be the cat though....
cat gets plugged up and stops exhaust completely had same problem on my dads....rare though.... :shocked:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doesn't sound too much like the problem I have seen with one, but you might want to check and see if the EGR valve is sticking open. It'll run untill the fast idle kicks off and then it dies or runs really ruff then dies.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have seen this on GM's - I bet it's the Theft deterent system - no BS. I have a Camaro motor I'm putting in my Opel - using the stock computer, without the original key with the chip in it and the theft deterent box plugged in right, it will do exactly that- start like a champ, and die in 5 seconds. weird, eh?

·
Registered
92 EH2
439 Posts
there could be alot of problems as described above, always remember start with the easiest stuff first. i had this problem with a few gm's, honda's. i found out it was the ign module. one symptom was it would start up great say in the morning then after the engine got nice and hot it would shut off. it wasnt until the ign module got cool that the car would start back up and repeat cutting off. take your time and check all these problems on these posts.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, we'll check all of those. any other ideas we should check?

·
Banned
939 Posts
How much later for it to start?

Any smoke?

Is the idle rough or smooth?

Does it die slowly or off like a switch?

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Egr valve sucks, on those 'trucks' antipollution sucks really much, my friend got one, and it make something like you mentionned before... I don't remember that He does, but I thought that he bypass the EGR, let it unplugged, but idle is really bad too... but not stall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts