Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
there is a party in my pants and Lindsay Lohan is
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone's had similar probs- I set my caster to about +3.5 earlier this year to give a little performance edge when cornering (especially autoxing)...
I've begun to notice it more & more since then, but the steering/handling feels a little sloppy/mushy. It almost feels like I've got big fat sidewall passenger tires on the car- almost like a big fat slow lethargic feel. Dunno if the alignment has something to do with it or if I've got a problem somewhere else I haven't found yet (worn parts, etc)...??

Here''s more specs if it helps at all:
205/45/16 Parada Spec II all 4 corners
Eibach Pro-Kit springs fr/rr
KYB AGX normally set to 3fr/2rr for street
Ingalls camber adjusters fr/rr
Front camber -1.8*
Front toe out within factory spec
Rear camber -2.0*
Rear toe in within factory spec

·
Registered
636 Posts
caster you should now have 2 fuck that much with !!. and yes could be your alignment is off, toe in, toe out.. the mushy feeling could be worn down inderside of tires..

on hondas we have some expriince setting the tires 0,5-1,0 degree toe in.. / \ and not \ / toe out...

but DONT fuck around with your caster .. i know MANY racers caster is the last thing one things about.. + you most have some serious suspention 2 adjust that !?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Have either of you two TRIED the agressive caster settings from the A arm swap????

Do you understand the camber curve changes with the caster change?????

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
my friend had a similar, not exact prob. once he changed his caster back into factory specs his steering was much tighter. :beer:

B

·
0 Posts
more caster makes it harder to turn. ever see a choper corner like a sport bike?? i same idea just one extream to another it has a spec like that for a reason. talk to others that you autoX w/ they might help you. how did you adj it?? most hondas don't have a way to adj it from factory

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
as stated in the original post, I have the Ingalls adjusters. I also swapped the control arms left to right but dialed it back a bit with the adjusters so it wasn't quite so extreme. I know a lot of vehicles come stock with a shit load of caster (like 5-6*), and I know caster controls your turning camber, I also did a lot of research on racing & autox suspension setup and everything I found basically said the more caster you can run the better so I figured I could crank mine up a degree or two and have good results. Like I mentioned earlier, factory spec is between 0.2*-2.2* so I figured one additional degree wouldn't kill anybody...

true more positive caster makes it harder to turn, even with my power steering I noticed a difference. Still nothing like my gf's cx tho- UGH. I never thought of the chopper thing, I used to have a chopper bicycle and the steering was horrible. Then again, that was like 45*, not just a few degrees like we're talking about here.

I'd really like to figure out why I'm having problems with this, cause isn't that what its all about - cornering faster?? :grin:

B

·
0 Posts
i would put the controll arms back like they should be and leave caster alone, i'm pretty sure that your not supost to change caster with thoes kits.
There is an over kill for ever thing too ya know. 5 or 6* caster is ok for a truck or lager car but for you just keep it at spec and make small changes. 1* is about 1".
hope that helps

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually a lot of smaller cars and imports come with that much caster or more
i know a lot of nissans do

check out this mini ~> http://www.grmotorsports.com/minicoopers.html
do a ctrl+f & search for caster, it will be a little more than 1/2 way down the page
>5*!! can you imagine that much caster on a mini?? :shocked:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
give and take. all part of the game...................

Give one center feeling for the camber gain for the swapped LCA's. Yes even with PS the extra effort is noticeible.

With the extra caster, try a 145 mph sprint down the highway........

PROPER alignment is needed whenever changing these setting.

Who would have ever though a 30-40 degree layback (caster) on a RC-10 off road car would allow it to win NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS???????

Think outside the box, yet understand your choices.

I met a OLD (15 years!) 1/10 scale carpet oval rival last night, he still said "You were ahead of the time, yet no budget! and still killed us!"

I'm using that same "idea" to tune a freaking Honda Civic, am I wrong?

B

·
0 Posts
First you built your tranny with Grand Turismo, now you are tuning suspension with an RC car.....whats next wind tunnel your aero with a scale model? Crazy, awesome but still crazy.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
acctually, I gain knowledge on susupension, then picked up the "bible" and read through it 5-6 times.

Roger Foo tried this idea first at Laguna Seca a few years ago.......he waxed the field.

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna have to pick up a copy of that bible, i know i want the extra caster but something's definitely wrong. One of the guys on h-t did some experimenting and found that there is substantial toe gain condition that manifests with the swapped arms. I'm thinking there's a good chance that could be what my problem is, I've driven cars with too much toe and this is kindof what my car feels like- just wants to push real bad in corners and it seems the harder the corner the worse the push...

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds like bad toe, because the amount of caster you are running over stock isn't all that much.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Performance Handling by Don Alexander.......

stm, you didn't get an alignment yet?????
or try a DIY alignment????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts