Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any current or in-progress speeduino builds for any of the 01-05 civics or 02-04 rsx or crv vehicles.

The bug to get a tunable solution in my 2001 civic is biting me again.

If I get it done, Im going to do a d16y8 valvetrain swap and start playing with some NA cams to make the daily driver a bit more fun. Very mild cam, proper 16v low/high vtec, and better intake manifold. Should be one of the easiest ways to add 20-30hp to a D17 if I focus on peak power. The EX gearing swap completely solved torque everywhere with mechanical advantage.

Nothing serious, and if I get a speeduino running, it can transfer to a K swap with moving 2 wires in the harness for 02-04 K setups.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
729 Posts
I'm thinking of trying it on my wifes, but no clue if it could emulate the obd2 interface to pass CA smog. Her '03 is due for a rebuild at 270k and I can't really see myself putting the money into anything less than slightly better if I decide on dropping the money to rebuild/upgrade.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can certainly try running it as piggyback. But if you have to pass smog, just make everything into a jumper harness, so it is a simple unplug and reconnect. Overpriced boomslang harness should solve that.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I might play with it, might be just the thing to get my tuner out of the hole he crawled into back when covid started. Upgrades won't be huge, intake manifold, some port work, balancing, switching to the a2 header and cat, ect. My wife won't admit it but she loved the 91s pep after the b2 was built and mpfi swapped, id like to give that back to her in the 03.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You wont need any tune with a Y8 manifold/throttlebody or whatnot. 1320 race header shows promise for gains, but the exhaust ports on the D17 heads dont have much room to shine.

I went junkyard style. A2 block and rotating, shaved the block a little, A2 head, pinned the rockers in "vtec" 16valve mode, but I still have the stock intake manifold. Mid-ram intake with heatshield and a 6inch to 2.5inch velocity stack got some response.

It runs much stronger than the stock A1 nonvtec. I do think the A1 was a bit tired though.

Ebay 4-1 header, fix the leaky flanges they come with, and put a Magnaflow aftermarket cat under the car, keep your OBD2 status for now, but overall, enjoy a good 10-15hp peak increase with some strong midrange gains as high as 20tq.

The stock intake manifold is absolutely fantastic at making lowend torque, but kills so much topend, that the Y8 manifold swap will suck down low if DX/LX gearing, but really shines up top.

D16z6 intake manifold is best if you plan to block off the rear IACV and IAT sensor location.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'll be dialing it in to cruise up hills without kicking down, and pass from 50 without jumping into second, lol. I've got a b7 and a z6 intake manifold to test with, 2 extra heads to play with the port work, a b2 lx auto cam to rig in, might go forged pistons and rods and possibly drop compression slightly, my wife loves this car, mostly because of the ac, and the wife gets what she wants, one way or another 😅

1 - 6 of 6 Posts