·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did look into the 20 g, infact some DSM guys have been helping me sort this out, the problem with the 20 g is on a small 1.6 it will lag allot, and if i go with the 18g i dont have to get any pipes redone, its a direct bolt in replacement for the big 16g. hmm i looked at that link iand it seems to say they have the 20 g in a 16 g housing, wonder if that means it will be a direct replacement. i will contact them. thanks much, if i dont have to redo my pipes i might put up with a little lag for the extra top end.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iirc...

16g < 18g < big 16g < 20g < bastard 20g

i could be wrong though. its been a while since i was looking at mitsu turbos.
not sure on the 20 gs, but what i know for sure is the 18g flows 50 cfm more then the big 16g.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are your power goals??
oh around 350 to 375, any way i contacted slowboy racing and they told me they can make me a 20 g bastard turbo that will be a direct bolt on replacement of my big 16g, they will enlarge the waste gate flapper and port it, port the turbine housing, put a 20 g compressor wheel in it and use a td05h exhaust turbine to keep the spool nice and fast, they will also port me a gen 2 o2 housing to replace my crappy stock gen 1 housing, all of this for 1094.00 shipped. i am really considering this as they rate this turbo at around 650 cfm at 15 psi. that is 50 more then the 18 g and 100 more then i have now, not to mention the gains i will get from a better o2 housing and the port work.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
oh around 350 to 375, any way i contacted slowboy racing and they told me they can make me a 20 g bastard turbo that will be a direct bolt on replacement of my big 16g, they will enlarge the waste gate flapper and port it, port the turbine housing, put a 20 g compressor wheel in it and use a td05h exhaust turbine to keep the spool nice and fast, they will also port me a gen 2 o2 housing to replace my crappy stock gen 1 housing, all of this for 1094.00 shipped. i am really considering this as they rate this turbo at around 650 cfm at 15 psi. that is 50 more then the 18 g and 100 more then i have now, not to mention the gains i will get from a better o2 housing and the port work.
Sounds good but I would skip out on the o2 housing porting, and go with a ebay unit. I know that sounds blasphemous, but David Bushur uses one of those ebay o2 housings on his race car, and even sells them on his website.
Except he sells them for $200 because they are a reputable shop and not 'ebay' crap
https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=714&osCsid=510a8634b4d4c39a6e9c1a2eac682b8f

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good but I would skip out on the o2 housing porting, and go with a ebay unit. I know that sounds blasphemous, but David Bushur uses one of those ebay o2 housings on his race car, and even sells them on his website.
Except he sells them for $200 because they are a reputable shop and not 'ebay' crap
https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=714&osCsid=510a8634b4d4c39a6e9c1a2eac682b8f
i did discuss that with them, the problem is i dont want to change the exhaust down pipe, and the guy at slow boy racing said alot of the better housings are modeled after the evo 3 housing which is slightly angled different and may or may not require me to redo my pipe, he claims that after they are done with the porting on the stock gen 2 unit it will flow as good as a tubular one. although the o2 and porting is gonna run me 180 bucks, if i could fine one that was a sure fit and flowed even better i would go for it.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just called buschur and they said all of theirs are also modled after the evo3 so i am sure most the ebay units are as well, i think i will just go with the slow boy racing one thats a sure fit and have them spend a little extra time hogging it out nice and smooth.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
350-375whp is alot on a internally gated turbo.
Thats why i am having them upgrade the waste gate flapper and port every thing around it.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not really, since whp has nothing to do with holding pressures of the WG. this is where psi actually does matter. look at the skyline, its internally gated....
it may not have much to do with the holding power, but my stock wastegate sucks when it comes to holding a steady psi, thats why i am investing in a good wastegate flapper and o2 housing this time, hopefully that means more of a steady PSI line in my data logs.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
not really, since whp has nothing to do with holding pressures of the WG. this is where psi actually does matter. look at the skyline, its internally gated....
but a skyline makes that power with 2 turbos, not one large. I was into DSM's before i got into honda's.. i found that the psi that it takes to make that kind of power usually results in boost spikes because the pressure cannot be bleed of fast enough through a internal gate. which in most cases is why they recommend an external gate be added

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
you two are reading too much into this and not paying attention.

the WG is regulated by psi only. if you have too much psi, it will not hold. its really that simple. lower the boost and the gate should hold up fine, assuming it did not get hurt while "over boosting" the WG.

and your right about the skyline, but that was not my point. the point of it was that its internally gated only.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i understand that part, but the larger mitsu after market turbos come with after market internal gates designed to hold the added pressure and not be forced open

1 - 20 of 34 Posts