Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up, DSO? Long time no see. 5 years, it seems.

Reintroducing myself... had a turbo '94 Z6 coupe (sold), then got a ZC swap '88 CRX Si (stolen).

And now I've had my HF for about 4 years. It's primary use is car stereo competitions and I've done pretty well. (4) world championships and (4) world records. BUT... now that I'm driving it a bit more, I have got to do something to get this thing moving. 50mpg is nice and all, but geez.

I stumbled across some "HF all motor monster" thread from a million years ago that gets referenced a lot, but I can't tell if it's some elaborate hoax or what. I know my head is terrible. I know I'm 8 valve. I know traditional "mini-me" is out. Turbo is apparently a waste. Lol. So what the hell does that leave me for options?

I have searched and read quite a bit, but it seems recommendations are all over the place. Everyone wants to swap a damn K24 or some shit and I want to stay with the D obviously.

I want to keep the thing reliable. I want it done right and I'd like to make it as painless as possible.

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

I choose fast and reliable.

What say you?

I call her the "retard".

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Why do you think that a mini me is out? And your setup can still benefit from a turbo
8 valve pistons don't have the extra reliefs cut. Probably be ok until Vtec hits, or clay the engine with Vtec engaged and make sure of it.

And I like Alan's 6 step program... although I hardly ever get past step 3...

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Convert it to RWD, shovel off a twin turbo SBC with a T56 6 speed.... You should have a good amount of torque to move that beast then. :biggrin:

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
There is a 500hp B-swap rwd crx out there, it can be done. Man so many red underlines in that last sentence, must mean it is super rare so even word cant tell if I am joking or crazy.

I think a motor swap is the best option, but you have some coolness factor options with the elderlyness of the chassis. I would go z6 turbo as well, just to keep it as old a motor that is capable with current setups, and still has tons of parts out there in case you ever feel like breaking it.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Start with a better D.

They are cheap enough and are direct replacements, for the most part.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Just no traction whatsoever bogus. I say turbo Z6 as you sound like money isn't your biggest issue.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Hoove... thats what ladder bars and tube back half chassis are for!! But I think the Turbo Z6 may just be a dollar or two cheaper...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outside of the TT RWD, sounds like boosted Z6 is a consensus.

I was secretly hoping everyone was going to agree on an A6 for some reason, but I'm cool with the Z6 since I'm already pretty familiar with it.

I'll start looking. Thanks for the suggestions.

What do you guys think about keeping the tall gears of the HF tranny? Good idea or no?

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,870 Posts
D16a6 is my favorite dseries honda ever made, if that helps.but im an all motor kinda of guy Seems to me they would be better for all motor builds for like autox cars, lower rpm motors . I say z6 for turbo

Edit: welllll depends on the power your looking for, if under 300whp i say go A6

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D16a6 is my favorite dseries honda ever made, if that helps.but im an all motor kinda of guy Seems to me they would be better for all motor builds for like autox cars, lower rpm motors . I say z6 for turbo

Edit: welllll depends on the power your looking for, if under 300whp i say go A6
300hp is awesome, but I have much more realistic expectations. 150hp to the wheels would be nice.

Can I get there all motor on an A6? Shit... 100hp is probably doubling what I have now. Lol

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
You have been on an HF setup all these years. a d16a6 motor, short tranny from the SI or EX, and the ecu from the same vehicles will net you about double the power, and gearing that actually allows you to move on the highway.

90-91 are the years to go by. Im guessing yours is a 90, though you didnt say

EDIT with an A6, you are only a nice header and intake manifold away from reaching over 130whp. If you get a tuning solution, a hotter cam should put you around 150whp without even opening the block up. Honda underrated the crap out of the A6. it puts down over 100whp on strong motors

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have been on an HF setup all these years. a d16a6 motor, short tranny from the SI or EX, and the ecu from the same vehicles will net you about double the power, and gearing that actually allows you to move on the highway.

90-91 are the years to go by. Im guessing yours is a 90, though you didnt say

EDIT with an A6, you are only a nice header and intake manifold away from reaching over 130whp. If you get a tuning solution, a hotter cam should put you around 150whp without even opening the block up. Honda underrated the crap out of the A6. it puts down over 100whp on strong motors
My bad. Yeah... it's a '91.

I think perhaps I am leaning toward the A6. Something cool about going with a motor that actually came in a CRX. Should be relatively easy to find too. And OBD0 is a plus since I assume it's an easier install.

I actually have I/H/E on the car already, but they're nothing special. And I'm all about tuning.

This is going to be fun.

What about the HF tranny? I'm not necessarily looking to tear up the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
HF tranny is geared so long because the HF motor was built for low end torque.

It wont play too nice with teh A6, though you would probably be able to touch 50mpg if you drive good.

Id just grab an A6's tranny as well. EX 4dr's, SI hatches, and SI crx's came with them.

Dont buy an 88 or early 89 tranny, its different sizing for the clutch setup. Tis' why I say get parts from 90 or 91.

EDIT another transmission to consider is one that was bolted up to a d15B2 in the DX 4drs and such. It is a bit longer geared than the A6's but still much more drivable than teh HF tranny. A good mix, and you would still grab over 35-40mpg and still have some peppyness

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
If your goal is supreme gasmileage for those HF bits from him, Id just convert to OBD1 and run the d15z1. it has much more potential for gas mileage

1 - 20 of 20 Posts