Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need an inter cooler to finish my turbo project.
Found something nice on ebay for 59$ shipped.
27"x6"x3"
Universal 28X5.5X2.5 Turbo Intercooler CIVIC RSX TOYOTA - eBay (item 140453212907 end time Feb-10-11 17:14:59 PST)

Anybody use the ebay ICs. They say they have been tested to 60-70 PSI.
Had a look at some of the used units in the for sale section they look the same yet the asking price seems a bit steep. 150-200$ for a used / dented / painted unit.
What should one look for when buying an IC from ebay or used. ?
I can only do this once. So I have to get it right the first time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Intercooler-27-x-7-x-2-5-fin-Golf-S2000-Civic-Integra-/180618481293?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0db34e8d

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
im pretty sure the cx racing inter cooler would be a better option.
it looks identical to the one i have, i havent used it yet but it looks like decent quality. i know a few people from around where i live that has been running full turbo kits from cx racing for a while now with little to no problems with the turbo, and no problems with the i.c's

but it also depends on your setup and hp goals you might wanna add a little more info about your setup to give people a rough idea of what your working with and your goals to give you a better opinion

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to run a TDO4 15G or 19G
But havent had any luck finding one. So for now I will go with a TD04 9G.
Which should get my D15 to 200 BHP easy.

In the past I have just hit the local Junk Yards and picked up ICs from there.
But the only ICs we get in this country are all top mount and really quite small.
You can get a pretty decent top mount used for about 40$ here.

This will be the first time Im going to be importing an IC. (Which is a pretty painful process). So must get it right. Tig welding is cheap here so moving things around will be easy i.e. in case I need to convert it to a back door setup. The conversion would cost under 5$

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
How cheap are you looking to spend? Check out go-autoworks fmics. I have his large sized one and it holds 450+ with no problems... They aren't very expensive and I think he has a smaller size thats a bit cheaper too.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
they way they market it they try to make it seem like the \ / shape is going to bring more air into the IC fins, which i dont buy at all.

since i know a / \ shape would trap air in and force it through...

but honestly i think the delta fin IC will work just as good as the other ebay variants.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
bar and plate is the way to go, tube and fin sucks. allthough you loose a little bit of efficiency when you go with bar and plate, you get much much MUCH more durability and resistance to being bent. Also you have less pressure drop through the intercooler since the air flows easier through it than the tube and fin.

Tube and fin is alot more prone to being damaged because it has very thin tubes that have fins on them that transfers the heat, it also is more efficient but at a price of a pressure drop when you pass air through it as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
After seeing a dyno run with a cheap IC and a reputable IC. I'll stay away from cheap IC's.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
its true expensive brand name IC's will cool better.

thats why the precisions are used on real drag cars not little D series toys like we build.

but at the end of the day the difference is nearly negligible factoring in cost and performance.

its like this: buy the real mac and cheese if u can afford it. or get the carriage trade brand if ur hungry and broke!

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
HP goal shouldnt determine cooler needs. imagine 200whp from a t25 then 200whp from a t4.....

although i dont know diddly about the turbo you plan to use but you should probably keep this in mind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts