Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been diabetic now for a couple of years now, but it is now that I'm finally seen the effects and the toll that has put on me.

You see I was dealing with depression (still are) so my mind wasn't not in the right place to deal let alone care about my diabetic and now I'm paying the price.

First I was borderline, then I became diabetic but it was controllable with the pills, .500 ml. Still I wasn't giving the situation the attention and respect it deserve, personal issues, MY FUCKING JOB, and so on took a priority in my life and now I'm paying the price, medicine was bump to 1000ml.

Can't sleep or think straight, I go to the bathrooms like 100 times a day, can't handle the job and my depression is at its highest.
Don't want to reach the insulin status but I think I have reach the level of not having another choice.

I feel that I don't even want to live anymore feeling sick like this and thoughts of suicide have been on my mind lately as I think I rather be dead than be living feeling sick and hopeless like I living right now.

Your thoughts on the diabetic issues?

Sorry guys I figure I come to you for opinion, support and understanding Since i have learn to respect a lot of you guys in this forum for years now.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
My wife was just recently diagnosed( which eplained that weird pain issue she's been having). She need meds but is not insulin dependent at the moment. But she needs to follow a very strict diet to keep her sugars under control. I would recommend you do the same. it also will help level you out a bit if you are eating the right foods. my wife too suffers from depression and has meds for that as well but the biggest change came from changing her diet. Press your way brother. My cousin just killed himself because of depression and I wouldn't want to see another person taken away by this horrible desease. So please get help if you can but know that there are people who care about you. Stay safe.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First the depression kill everything positive in my life, then diabetic came to the picture and this combination is killing me slowly. I feel that I can't longer multi task and I'm considering stop working for a while to take full control of my life, as I see my job giving me nothing but stress and is not helping at all on my condition.

This past spring/summer was the very first in my entire life that I didn't do any type of moderate exercises. I was so beat up at work and so stress out that the only thing I wanted to do was to get home and sit/laid as I didn't have to motivation or the energy to do ANYTHING!!!!

Having a bad nutrition habits don't help at all so I'm gonna see if there's a diabetic nutritionist around my way that I can get some info, also go to the eye doctors too since my vision be bothering me lately.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not doing my part when it comes to my eating habits but I'm waking up to a sugar level of 340 scare the shit out of me and its driving me crazy.

For those of you that prey, please keep me on your prayers as I think only the help of the almighty can put me back in the right track.

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
my wife has been insulin dependent for over 30 years - I will give you one piece of advice...take this very seriously as this is one nasty disease! If you don't, your later years are going to be true hell...ask me how I know.

It's a bitch, I know - but you aren't going to feel any better until you get your A1C in line and keep your sugar levels in the normal range.

I feel for you bud.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
my dude if i remember right you have a couple of daughters. keep them at the front of your mind i know they have your back and stay strong for them.

im not well read on this disease but i do know it can be very nasty so listen to the knowledgeable people and take it seriously this is your life your talking about here.

you will certainly be in my prayers friend.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Find a different job, stress would have killed me if I'd stayed at old job...which I'd be retired from now and drawing a FULL pension but at 6 feet down it would have done me no good.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
My friend who recently had a heart attack and died in front of me was diabetec. He was unhealthy and thought he had it under control.

As for the depression and suicidal thoughts. You need to stop being selfish and think of your family!! Go and see a professional and get help now. You need to learn how to recognize a "spell". Its triggers, etc. if you wanna talk off line pm me and il give you my number.

If you wanna know how I qualify to help you, contact me. I've had my fair share of ups and downs and experiences.

·
Registered
152 Posts
First and foremost. Speak to a doctor, call the hospital asap. Tell them your suicidal. You need help. They will help you. You will feel better. They can help you monitor and treat your diabetes. Please call.

Ps. Im a student Rn, so we learn about this, and have helped patients. In psychiatric hospitals, and on med floors.

Message me if you need to talk.

But please call your local hospital and tell them how you feel.

I promise within weeks youll be feeling better with a more posative outlook in life.

Stratton.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
My friend who recently had a heart attack and died in front of me was diabetec. He was unhealthy and thought he had it under control.

As for the depression and suicidal thoughts. You need to stop being selfish and think of your family!! Go and see a professional and get help now. You need to learn how to recognize a "spell". Its triggers, etc. if you wanna talk off line pm me and il give you my number.

If you wanna know how I qualify to help you, contact me. I've had my fair share of ups and downs and experiences.
Listen to him!!!!!

Posting on here, or via late night PM's will get you to thinking about what is going on and trying to get control.

Like a riding a roller coaster at times. Was blasting down the biggest hill a week ago, out of control.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
Two stories:-

My mother contracted the disease in her 50s. She was already overweight and never really managed to control her eating. She lasted well into her 80s, but was never as fit (or as happy?) as she could have been. You get down; you dump the diet. If the sugar has to be controlled, you tell yourself that fruit is OK ... and then eat grapes (for example). Honestly, self-discipline in these matters really does do the business.

More positively:
A friend's 8-year old son was diagnosed with the problem over 30 years ago. He needed daily jabs, so we drew up a body diagram so that he could control how he took the injections. He's played sports ever since.

Your diabetes can be controlled. Go for it. It will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Go see a doctor for the depression, many of us have been there. I started looking up psychiatrists in my early 20s after being happy as a clam then 15 minutes later being so sad and depressed I couldnt even get out of my car to face people, with nothing happen between that should have effected my emotional state. That happening several times a day was a nightmare. It is a disease, its not your fault you have it, but it is your responsibility to seek and maintain appropriate treatment.

Excerscise moderately, walk instead of taking the elevator etc. Try to lift weights, even twice a month can have VERY significant results over time.

If you live simply you dont need a job that pays that much to be happy, but a job that makes you miserable can steal your happiness no matter how much it pays.

Your diet should be lean meat and non sweet, non starchy vegetables. If some moron doctor tells you to get more starchy fiber and cut out meat (I have had doctors tell diabetic friends this) get a second and 3rd opinion if needed.

Go get lots of frozen veggies (I like the HEB stir fry mix), sesame oil, coconut oil, good lean meats, garlic, ginger and parmesian cheese.

My 3 major standbys are fast stirfry, grilled parmesian crusted chicken/fish, and meat and veggie balls rolled in parmesian cheese.

Simple stir fry is sesame oil in a pan with garlic, ginger, chopped chicken or beef and some soy sauce or spicey sauce, avoid the sweet sauces. Stir fry, toss in veggies when meat is almost done. 1 pan, little mess, 10-15 minutes tops.

Baked fish/chicken is thawed out, patted dry, lightly rubbed in a 50/50 mix of coconut and sesame oil (nice mild nutty flavor combo) then dusted with parmesian cheese, garlic and pepper and baked, thinner cuts of meat taste better and cook faster, fish should be cooked less time that chicken. 20-30 minutes 1 pan. Sesame oil and lemon sauteed vegges are a good side dish.

Veggie heavy meat balls are ground meat of any variety you like mixed in equal volume with frozen veggie mix. Thaw out veggies in microwave, blender until throughly evicerated, strain out as much water as you easily can and mix evenly with meat. Add seasonings as you like. Garlic, onion, ginger, redpepper flakes whatever strikes your fancy, be a little heavy handed because the veggies will absorb a lot of flavor. Roll into meatballs and roll in parmesian and garlic mix and bake. 30-40 minutes, 1 pan, 1 bowl, 1 plate. These are the most time intensive but they freeze well, and can made in volume either raw or cooked and put directly into the oven and reheated/cooked.

Good luck, and have faith! It can be better!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ive been type 1 (insulin dependent) for 32 years. Was diagnosed when I was 2 years old, so I dont really know much else.

I do my best to look aftermyself, but its never as simple as that.
Even to this day, every now and again, something un-explicable will happen. I'll have blood sugars steady from after dinner to before bed, do my usual bed time jab, yet still wake up with high or low sugar levels.

I always test when I get up and before I go to bed. Without fail. My breakfast is the same, as is lunch through the week, so my daytime sugars are normally pretty good.

I dont know about the US, but here in the UK, there is a fair amount of low sugar foods and a little bit of sugar free. Be warned tough- the sweetners used have a MEGA laxative effect. You will have bottom sick within the hour if you eat too much.

It's always hard to ask for help- the doctors and nurses always give you what they want you to do, not whats realistic.
If you want any help, drop me a PM. I'd say you could give me a buzz, but I'm in the UK!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Law, thanks to BBC TV docs, I've really changed my diet.

I tend to be hypoglycemic, meaning if I don't eat regularly my sugar will drop. Blurry vision, tunnel vision, slow reaction times, etc. First time it happened it was like a weird acid trip (never had it) and I did nothing while driving a forklift at work....for two hours!!!!

When I was at Sysco a buddy injected 2-3 times daily, sometimes having to mix slow and fast acting insulin. One night he looked at me and just started feeding me butterscotch candy as he could tell what was happening.

I'd skipped lunch and break in order to keep my % up so I wouldn't get fired. That night I decided I didn't give a fuck if I got fired. I would "do my best" and be fine with it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hypoglycemic is diet controlled, my whole family (including me) have it to some extent. It can be a long term condition where your body simply doesnt maintain sufficient blood sugar very well, or a pre diabetic condition where your pancreas over reacts to a blood sugar spike and releases too much insulin and your blood sugar drops too low. From my understanding your pancreas can often go wonky after long term dietary abuse before it gives up and stops working.

Obviously there is a range of reactions, some people get headaches or cant think or function very well, and some people drop to the ground and pass out.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Getting away from fast food REALLY helped, blood sugar issues or not.

Two McDoubles, large fries, large pop + refill....yeah talk about a "crash" about 45 minutes later.

McD and other load up everything on HFCS, esp. the buns.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife takes Metformin, and has for years to help her type II.
That's what I been taking, started at 500 now 1000ml.

Thank you guys for your kind words and concern, means a lot to me. Yesterday a co-worker of mine and a good friend was taken to the Hospital with the sugar on the 400. Whats funny is that he been eating a lot better than me, I see him drinking nothing but water so I was a bit surprised when I heard the news. But then I ask him could it be alcohol and he said that he thinks that is the problem, he said "Jimmy every Friday and Saturday I be getting fuck up" I told him that's your problem right there brother, so he's gonna work on that for now on.

Later that they I had a chance to talk to him and ask him what happen, he told me he felt sleepy, thirsty, going to the bathroom a lot and on and on. I told him that was for a few weeks already that my sugar in the morning was in the upper 300-350 and this was when I just finish waking up with nothing in my stomach.

He ask me Jimmy how in the hell are you operating, I told him, out of necessity. I told him I get up, take a shower and walk to work. I told him I can't concentrate and can't multitask like I used to. I lost of interest on everything including hobbies and Sex, LOL literally fall asleep and my lady wake me up but it sure doesn't feel the same and it sucks.

My friend is now on insulin, he said the Dr. told him that with proper nutrition and exercise he can probably go back to just taking a pill. We suppose to start going to the gym together and trying to go to a nutritionist/dietitian to help us deal and understand the situation better.

This was kind of a wake up call for me so I hope this motivate me enough to actually give a damm about myself and my life.

Once again guys thanks and nothing but respect and love.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts