Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm planning on building my EK Y7 engine and go boost. Ive have plenty of experience/knowledge about turbos and Hondas (B series and K series) But no experience about turboing and honda engine and even less a D-Series. (My last Honda was an EG hatch with B18c1/B16 head 209whp N/A)
I'm seriously thinking of going with the BW EFR 6258. Guys at FULL-RACE told me it was easlily capable of over 400whp and the boost was going to kick in almost instantly. Hot side specs are t25 .64, titanium wheel etc...
They gave me a link to an S13 with that turbo making 380whp @ 19psi or so with "instant spool" (although it doesn't show any dyno charts to see how it spools). I've also seen the EFR series on bigger trims for EVO's and STi's (<-- I have one) and the spool of just mind blowing.

But, Ive really never seen this or any EFR series turbo on a D16.

Right now my EK is for Auto-X and road racing event but I also take it to the strip. Last time it did 16.700 on a 100% stock Y7 (except for a Simota Intake LOL!), Stock long-ratio tranny, etc... Only has suspension/tire mods. Even that 16.700 is "respectable" for the POS stock engine is quite embarasing against other cars which most of them are at the 12-13.5 range, same story goes on the street. I really would like my OK to be an all around competitor (Road Race, Drag, Street) and having fun doing it.

My goals are to have ~280whp for road racing and a diferrent tune for drag/street ~350-385whp is easily achievable according to FULL-RACE while having an amazing quick spool. They told me that EFR turbo was efficient all the way to 45psi.

So is ther anyone here rocking an EFR turbo? Or a twinscroll setup?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews on the interwebs.

But e-researching aside, the packaging looks very slick. No more boost controllers or external wastegates and no more blow off valves necessary. It's all in the package. It still seems like spool wouldn't be very good for autox, but I'm not with the crowd regarding compressor sizing. I'm looking for power under the curve, not peak hp, because that's what makes a street car fun and what will own an autox course.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is what I'm thinking of doing (Suggestions accepted)

Head:
-Y8 Head
-Valvetrain (undecided which brand)
-Cam (undecided on what spec or which brand)
-ID750 or ID1000 injectors

Drivetrain:
-Si or EX Tranny
-*possibly* MF Factory LSD

Block:
-Vitara / FJ R Spec Rods (I believe final compression ratio is 8.5:1) correct me if I'm wrong
-Blockguard
-ACL Race bearing

Turbo:
-Borg Warner EFR 6258 t25 .64
-Universal FMIC (Stealth black)
-Custom Manifold
-Custom Downpipe

Tune:
-2 P28 with eCtune (1 for road race ~250-280whp, the other for drag/street ~350-385)

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Send The Acid Beaver a PM, he might have links to EFR/D-series stuff.
I haven't seen anyone with a EFR on a D16 though.

But I have been looking into them for when I go boost.
I would certainly pay the extra $200 for the twin scroll version though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Send The Acid Beaver a PM, he might have links to EFR/D-series stuff.
I haven't seen anyone with a EFR on a D16 though.

But I have been looking into them for when I go boost.
I would certainly pay the extra $200 for the twin scroll version though.
Sadly the 6258 and 6758 won't be coming in the T4 .92 TwinScroll turbine housing as they told me via e-mail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WTF?

Seriously . . . that will be the gheyest thing ever if they don't make those setups. I REALY want a 6258 TS . . . I am very grumpy now.
Sadly that was what they told me.
Here are his exact words; I Quote:
Thanks for your inquiry. I wanted to start off by letting you know that the 6258 and 6758 are not going to be released in the T4 twin scroll .92a/r turbine housing. They are only available in the .64a/r T25 turbine housing. Borg Warner made the decision to not to produce the T4 housing on the small framed EFRs since there is no advantage in spool between the .64a/r and the twin scroll .92a/r. So your only option on both 6258 and 6758 will be the .64a/r T25.
There's more but is not relevant to the TS housing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know of a Good company that sells really high quality RAM-Horn manifold for D-Series on a T25 while also being A/C Compatible?

I called full-race but thay only sold T3 manifold for D-Series and it's not A/C compatible.
That have one for B Series that's A/C compatible though.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
From what Ive been seeing and reading these are some of the best turbos available right now. Unfortunately the price is high enough that youre not going to see many on Hondas.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
These are the go-to turbos in the Miata community for those who are serious about racing.

The only pics I can find of one of these being used on a Civic is pictures of the Full Race kit, but I wonder if they have really sold any of those. Also, theyre not even using the internal wastegate, which is a real shame considering how well it works.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just met a guy locally who runs an EFR on his Miata, he works at a shop that specializes in Miatas. He said he's making 560hp at the wheels. He had nothing but good things to say about the turbo (forgot to ask what size). The only thing he said was a negative about the turbo was the price. But also don't forget to subtract the price of a quality WG and BOV since they are built in.

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
I wanted to get the 6258 for my Miata but ended up scoring a new 6758 from someone who canceled their build for a really good deal.

The length of the EFR is going to make it tough to fit with A/C P/S on a D/B series. But if you can go without the A/C & P/S Im sure it would make for a really good setup on a built D16.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts