Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter was chosen since she was in Jr. High School for a full paid scholarship to go to LVC Lebanon Valley College - About LVC

My concern as a parent is that she has her mind set up on art, I wanted her to go for anything in the health field since that's where the demand is at. I want my kids to be able to find a job anywhere they choose to live.

Anybody here with major in art or know somebody that does? Also how they doing money wise with that degree? I'm trying to be supportive but I want my kid to advantage of her free scholarship from this excellent school and take something that's high on demand and pays good and she has her mind set up to go else where for art.

I don't want her to spend all her time, money, sweat, blood and tears on Art to later take something else cause it didn't work out.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Art can go a lot of places. Graphic Design, advertising, sculpture (I actually have a buddy who had his first public installation) ... or even being self employed. Art isn't just drawing and painting. There are welded sculptures, there's silk screening, jewelry design, creative consulting.

My advice is don't try to force her into anything. It will just make her miserable ... which will affect how much she actually gets out of the schooling. If she doesn't like it she won't retain any of it. Suggest taking some business classes in addition to the core art curriculum, maybe a minor of some sort (my minor got me my job). Just because she isn't a nurse doesn't mean she can't get into the healthcare industry. I have a degree in history and I'm working IT for a good sized hospital system. I know a guy with a landscape engineering degree (I didn't even know those existed) who now writes/proofreads manuals. Your undergraduate degree often does not define you.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your reply, that's what I actually want. Take some other classes, take a minor in something. I know that they are lots of different types of art but how much demand are for those jobs? What gets me mad is that she doesn't want to take any other classes that have nothing to do with art, me in the other hand tell her that those are college credits that she can earn for free and she will have them already in case plan A doesn't work. I'm trying to give her options JUST IN CASE.

Found lots of interesting threads about parents going thru the same issues where the kids want an all art school and parents rather see the kids go to a good college that has a good art program so she can have minor options in something else.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Agree with the others.

I would let her pursue what she wants, but let her know how you feel. her art skills is what earned her that scholarship in the first place. Maybe by being in college she will want to pursue other avenues?

Say you push her into a field she's not interested in, starts a career in it, and fails. She will blame you for the rest of her life and prolly end up trying to pursue art any how.
The art field can branch out into many different fields as stated by autox. Let her have a go at it while she's young and wants to be in school.

Good luck

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
art does have many things inside it as has been said.

honestly the need for lots of these jobs vary by region like anything else. graphic design was something i used to be really interested in. also Web design is highly sought for these days and lots of artistic talent goes into making a website look good. plus its cool to think that something you created is being viewed by millions of people per day (depending on the site) thats way more than any painting hanging in an art gallery.

but also i say dont push her too much. im just more of the tough love kinda person(i dont have kids just kinda the way i was raised) i say when she goes to school she can do what she wants she will get out into the real world and if she cant find a job then its on her. once they become adults they can make their own decisions and its time to start thinking like an adult. if she doesnt find a job shes gonna say "oh man dad was right i wish id listened to him" but lifes not about "i told you so"

but i think she will get into school realize her folly here and decide to minor in something. honestly she would be best to major in something else and minor in art but again she may just need to learn on her own.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
My mother got a fine arts degree from a good private university.

I will say that having a degree in general is going to help you find a job. It is certainly not worthless.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
What your daughter is going to need from you most of all is support. Yes, being an artist is not something than anyone can do and can be even remotely successful. Many people have the dream to do something that involves their talent; sports, music, painting, acting...

Don't kill her dream just because she has the potential to fail. What if being an artist is what she really wants to do and can make a modest living doing it? Sure, she isn't an International sensation that becomes a millionaire, but if she can live comfortably, within her means and is happy doing so...isn't that what it is all about when one becomes an adult?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Also the medical field is pretty entry level stuff. unless she will go for PA, RN, NP, or DR all the ma and stuff is like minimum wadge. and grossly saturated.
MT ... I saw they had a medical technology track.

MTs are in super high demand and it's far from entry level stuff.

Side note, don't get mad ... encourage her to broaden her horizons. There are only so many art courses that exist and many colleges require some credits in other classes to come out with a degree. I would very seriously encourage her to take a few business type classes (if there are small business admin type classes even better) especially if her plan is to create her own art for a living (which can take a while to pan out). Encourage her to search out internships in various art related fields (graphic design, advertising, newspapers, photographers, galleries, etc.) it will give her real world experience with people who have managed to make a career out of something arty.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are all AWESOME, rep for every one. I want to be supportive and Animation is her passion so i have to find out everything that is to know about this. I wanted for her to take advantage of the scholarship, but If this school can't offer that as much as it hurts we will look elsewhere. As a child she always love PIXAR movies and even mention that would be her dream work, she also loves video games so if she can find something in this lines I guess is a plus. This was a quick look that I did of the top school for animation:

2014 Top 100 Animation School Programs in the U.S. | Animation Career Review

and since I want to keep her near by:

Top 25 Animation Schools and Colleges on the East Coast ? 2015 | Animation Career Review

Now I know that they are ways to get other scholarship and she's gonna need it if she is planning on going to any of this schools. My wife and I talked this morning about doing some road trips to some of this schools at least the ones near the east coast and also I'm planning on writing some letters to the people in the field to ask for the opinion and suggestions. I figure if you gonna go for art go for it all out, so I hope she goes for a bachelor or master if need be in a good school.

Keep it coming guys, any info is truly appreciate.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Definitely encourage her to learn the digital side of it as well. She does not have to be a computer expert but at least learn how to use a PC as well as a Mac. Learn at the VERY least Photoshop and Illustrator.

Graphic design is a HUGE field, and as a computer guy I can tell you that most of the web designers are computer people, NOT art people, even though good artists would often be better at site design. Website design probably isnt her dream job but it is always in demand, and can be a great filler job while looking for her dream job or if she just needs to work from home later in life.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Boricuanolgy, this is a full-paid ride correct? All degree programs have a series of classes you can choose from to complete the degree requirements. It will say something along the lines of Choose 8 credit hours from: Natural Science, Earth Science, blah blah.

Only a quarter or less of the classes are typically in relation to the field of study and the rest are core curriculum courses.

My best advice would be to pick core courses that overlap with a more valuable degree program; that way, if she changes her mind later she can just transfer the credits and get a different degree. Another option is a double major.

I can't comment on the value of an Art degree.. but an escape route is valuable for anyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts