Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know this has been discussed a million and a half times and I've been doing quite a bit of research on the matter. I see most guys have tend to run a line from valve cover to can and black box to can with filter on top of can. I was wondering if I would get proper ventilation if i cap off the black box and only run off the valve cover. I am currently building a turbo Z6 and plan to break it in NA. The catch can I have only had 2 ports aside from the filter. I was hoping I could get away with running one to valve cover and the other to intake manifold while I am NA and then running 2 lines to valve cover once boosted. Will it be ok to run like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
why would you run it to the intake manifold???

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
I take it I should just run to the black box?
if it has breather on it, then black box and vc can connect.
i just run it from the vc, but i only have 14 psi.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
why would you run it to the intake manifold???
High performance motor (or future turbo motor in your case) = vented catch can

Primarily OEM motor = non vented

I’m totally a fan of keeping emissions equipment in place when there’s not a need to remove it but the last thing you want in a high performance engine is to suck that dirty shit in.

There’s enough blow by to vent the crankcase. Even with 1-3% cylinder leakage in my engine, I still see vapors coming out of my vented can at idle which tells me that at least some of those nasty hydrocarbons are making their way out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are you saying most guys that run 2 lines off of valve cover don't have a line to the black box port? The blow by is sufficient enough to vent the crankcase? I am aiming for low 400 hp and want to make sure it will be sufficient enough. Sounds like I may need to get a new can with 3 ports. 2 for vc and 1 for black box.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
So are you saying most guys that run 2 lines off of valve cover don't have a line to the black box port? The blow by is sufficient enough to vent the crankcase? I am aiming for low 400 hp and want to make sure it will be sufficient enough. Sounds like I may need to get a new can with 3 ports. 2 for vc and 1 for black box.
no they use a 3 port catch can
make sure its vented. I think one from the vc should be enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts