Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my 99 sedan is making me pull my hair out. i noticed my car first overheating on i-95 down to miami. above 40-50 the car then started to over heat. go below 40-50 the temp needle would fall. and it was at this time i noticed the rad fan was constantly on.

first diagnosis: temp sensor!

wrong. i changed the temp sensor under the dis and all that did was give me a more reliable "your engine is about to boom" reading. same issues with speed vs coolant... rad fan still on

second diagnosis: thermostat

nope still over heating. and the fan i noticed was rigged to stay on by using a vamp tap to bridge the two wires witch in tern would constantly keep the fan on. removed, and now the fan wont kick on... wtf please help

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
can honda fans be ran backwards if you switch the power and ground? some can some cant may be your issue

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did not know that... very interesting.

ok, just took it down to the gas station. and now, even with the fan set to be constantly on, the temp gauge went up about as fast as the spedometer did. what the hell? although i did check the rad hoses, and the one coming from the head was nice and hot, the lower hose was pretty cool... does that mean its clogged?

·
Registered
'96 Civic Coupe DX
40 Posts
what is your antifreeze mix? i have known people that ran the wrong mix and have had similar problems, all has to do with how it heats up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay as stated in my first post in this thread, i put a NEW therostat in and my lower rad hose is cold when the upper on is hot. is it safe to assume there a clog?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay i pulled off the lower hose. fluid didn't come dumping out like i was expecting but i did lose a about a quart or two. the fluid that came out was nice and cool. not piping hot like the top hose. could this have something to do with the new thermostat not opening? im even pretty car savvy and im stumped... i've never encountered this issue before... what could be the deal from here?

·
Registered
'96 Civic Coupe DX
40 Posts
if the top hose is piping hot, then the thermostat is working, its letting the coolant past it, the lower, not being warm should be typical because the radiator removes the heat from the coolant. I DO NOT know if its supposed to be as cool as yours is coming out of the lower radiator hose, i have never looked into that... so at that rate i would assume you have a blockage in the upper parts of your radiator. maybe low on coolant as well...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay, im planning to pull the rad out and give it a thorough flushing. hopefuly that should ease the problem... i've noticed the overheating to be intermittant before i got into it so that leads me further to believe that it maybe a clog, and now its moved somewhere that its further restricing flow... that, and the whole time, my temp gauge has been pinned(ish) and it will drop, and then go back up and drop somemore. so at the reccomendation of everyone else... clog?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
okay as stated in my first post in this thread, i put a NEW therostat in
DOESN'T MATTER. I got like 3 bad auto-zone t-stats in a row. Just b/c it's new doesn't mean it's worth a shit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
who goes to autozone? advance all the way! and an interesting tidbit of info, i actually found an advance that not only gives me a 20% discount (because im a nice guy apperantly) but the guys there also know how to help troubleshoot with me... im amazed with this particular advance. (and the one 2mi down the road employ "kno-nothings")

anyway...

alright, flushed out the rad and notice while i was replacing the coolant that my thermostat was pissing a light mist of greenstuff. so back to removing the stat. realized the gromet still had some rtv sealant from the last genious who replaced it.(it was getting dark yesterday, i didn't notice it the first time.) and i also notice that the orientation of the stat/gromet was important too. fixed that.
now im back the before. overheating at crusing speeds. cool as ice at a stop.
i noticed alot of corrosion on the stat housing and the sensor thats attached (what is it? btw) can come apart three ways... i don't think thats right.
what the hell is that sensor called? maybe, somehow, that can coax out the gremlins?:confused:

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
rtv sealant will clog your thermostat because i seen it happen on cars that i work on before.

plus you can test your thermostat by putting it in hot water or light that bitch on fiya to see it open.

also don't forget seat the thermostat nipple at the right spot.

·
Registered
92 Si
178 Posts
Good at idle, bad at cruise/load. Pressure test the rad cap, if its good and you have a known good tstat in car (as someone else said just because its new dosent mean its good.) Your headgasket has gone pffft.

·
Registered
96 civic ex/98 cobra
89 Posts
Is your fan still on the whole time you are at cruising speed? I have seen people wire in switches so they can turn the fans on anytime they want and forget to turn it off while cruising. This can cause the car to run hot because you won't get enough air through the rad as the fan becomes a restriction.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
I think your radiator is clogged. Based on all the other f'dup shit you're finding in your car, I'm wondering if the previous owner used hard tap water to mix with the coolant causing mineral deposits to collect over time throughout your cooling system.

Did you guys know that odd numbered interstates like i-5 all travel north and south, and all even numbers like i-10 travel east and west?
Did you know that I-95 travels East-West in CT?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts