Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry to start another one of these threads, but my car has me going crazy and I have searched and cant find the problem.

I had a thread on here a while back with the same topic however that turned out to be my starter, i got a honda reman unit and the car was running fine until two weeks ago. I was driving the car on a saturday and everything was fine went to go for a drive the next day and the car would not start, not even attempting to crank. I listed everything i have done to try and diagnose the problem, if anyone can help it would be great.

- Tightened terminals as i thought this was the problem, that didn't work. Terminals are also new.
- Checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood everything is fine.
- Had the battery checked at Autozone and it was good. I keep the battery on a float charger as i can only work on the car on the weekends since my garage is about an hour away.
- Checked the Starter at Autozone it passed.
- Checked the Starter power wire from the battery its getting power
- Checked the Starter Signal wire while my boy turned the ignition. it is getting power.
- Checked the alternator its getting power.
- Checked the grommet on the clutch pedal and its there.
- Changed the wires from the ignition to the fuse box that didn't work.
- I can hear my fuel pump prime and my fuel pressure gauge shows that i have pressure. Could it still be my main relay??
- I disabled the alarm and that didn't work
- I checked the teeth of the flywheel just in case and everything looks fine.

the last day the car turned on I bleed the coolant system as my temp gauge was fluctuating like there was air in the system I had the heater on high while reving the car at about 2500 rpm while in neutral to get the fans working. After this i drove the car to make sure the car wasn't over heating and everything was good so i parked the car and washed it. When i went to start it the car would not start I tightened the terminals and the car started fine afterwords drove around for a bit more then parked the car in the garage and the car has not ran since.

Car has a freshly built D16Z6 with Vitaras and a Hondata S300 less than 30 miles. If any one can help i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
check all of your grounds. Especially the one that goes from the neg terminal to the transmission housing. Is the starter selinoid clicking?"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the grounds currently i have three like stock Trans, Thermostat and valvecover. I also cleaned up the grounding locations. the car still wouldn't turn on. the starter doesn't click at all not even when i try to bench test it but when i took it to Autozone and they put it on the machine it passed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There could be a loose connection to the solenoid that engages the starter in the flywheel. If it tested fine at autozone, maybe it got jiggled around enough on the way there to be able to connect.

If you're getting power to the starter, but it's not engaging, then it's got to be something internal in the starter.

EDIT: Especially if you bench tested it yourself, and got nothing.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Your getting a ground signal and power from battery and starter test good and it won't crank... Is motor locked up? With the starter installed what does it sound like under the hood when attempting to start?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do u have small pieces of rubber on your floor board? If you do, check the clutch pedal. Theres a rubber stop that engages a switch when u press down the clutch pedal to start. Hopefully its this and not something complicated

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There could be a loose connection to the solenoid that engages the starter in the flywheel. If it tested fine at autozone, maybe it got jiggled around enough on the way there to be able to connect.

If you're getting power to the starter, but it's not engaging, then it's got to be something internal in the starter.

EDIT: Especially if you bench tested it yourself, and got nothing.
Yeah that's what my I am thinking, I actually just called Honda and was told to take it in to a dealer and get it tested if it passes like it did at Autozone they probably wont exchange it. In the mean time I am going to see if I can get another starter.

no crank?
The starter doesn't even attempt to engage, its just dead.

Your getting a ground signal and power from battery and starter test good and it won't crank... Is motor locked up? With the starter installed what does it sound like under the hood when attempting to start?
The motor was running healthy and isn't locked up, when I try to start it I get nothing it doesn't attempt to engage, its just dead.4

Do u have small pieces of rubber on your floor board? If you do, check the clutch pedal. Theres a rubber stop that engages a switch when u press down the clutch pedal to start. Hopefully its this and not something complicated
I checked the clutch pedal and everything is fine, I hope so to I am going crazy trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok So I have and Update. I went to the car today and also picked up another starter at Autozone to kill any doubts in my mind and the new starter did not solve the problem. I bench tested the Honda Oem and the Autozone starter and both were functioning.

So I then decided to jump the starter signal. While the starter was installed, I kept direct current to the signal spade on the starter and turned the ignition switch on and the car fired up.

My guess is that I have a voltage drop from the ignition switch to the starter itself. Would this mean that my ignition switch is bad or the starter relay has gone bad?

I took some videos and will try to post them up tonight if not tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Try jumping the clutch switch and see if it starts.

Make sure the starter mounting surface is clean. The starter gets its ground from the block.

See if you have 12 volts going to both the black/white wires at the starter relay plug.the key will need to be in the cranking position.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try jumping the clutch switch and see if it starts.

Make sure the starter mounting surface is clean. The starter gets its ground from the block.

See if you have 12 volts going to both the black/white wires at the starter relay plug.the key will need to be in the cranking position.
Hey I was actually looking for your email you helped me alot last time thanks for posting, the starter mounting surface is good and i cleaned all the grounds again aswell as installed new oem ground bolts.

How do you jump the clutch switch I checked the for the grommet and it was in its position. I also picked up a multi-meter today to test the voltage.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Unplug the clutch switch and stick a piece of wire in both ends. Pic shows what I mean.

·
Registered
92 hatchback
1,517 Posts
I originally thought, maybe a dead cell in the battery, but if you jumped the starter, then you really jumped the clutch safety switch. bypass it and see if it starts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I originally thought, maybe a dead cell in the battery, but if you jumped the starter, then you really jumped the clutch safety switch. bypass it and see if it starts.
Yeah I did aswell it was one of the first things I had checked so i new the battery was good.

Unplug the clutch switch and stick a piece of wire in both ends. Pic shows what I mean.

I was wondering what my boy was doing he already checked it that way when we checked the grommet and it wouldnt start either. but i will check again the only problem is that i wont be able todo so till wednesday or saturday. If this works what should be the next thing i check?

Jumping the starter signal
2013 08 10 18 42 46 - YouTube

What the car looks like inside while trying to start.
2013 08 10 18 37 49 - YouTube

Car running after i jumped the starter signal
2013 08 10 19 39 49 - YouTube

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
If jumping the clutch switch doesn't work then the problem is else where. If it does the the clutch switch is the problem.

Before doing this next step make sure you have power going the both black/white wire at the starter relay plug while cranking.

If jumping the clutch switch doesn't work the next step is to jump the starter relay plug. The pic below shows how to do it exactly. One black/white wire jumped to the black/red wire. It doesn't matter which black/white wire you use as there the same. Once jumped turn the key like you normally would and see if it starts. If it does the starter relay is the problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So I jumped the Clutch Switch and the Starter Relay and neither items worked. I also checked the voltage on the starter signal wire and it shows that it is getting about 12.3 volts. I googled how to check the ignition switch but its a bit confusing hoping to figure it out by friday since then i have been jump the starter signal to get the car on.

below are videos, for reference i also noticed that my radiator fan wasn't turning on this week end as the car overheated so i shut it down quickly. going to check that out this weekend. as well.

Clutch Switch 1
Clutch Switch 1 - YouTube

Clutch Switch 2
Clutch Switch 2 - YouTube

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you tried the main relay? I have the same problem right now & everything seems to be working just fine, my mechanic tells me to swap out a main relay since he helped a guy who had the same problem as us & that was the problem. Tomorrow I'll be changing out the relay & hopefully that solves my issue.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Did you get voltage when the key was in the cranking position?

If the alarm has a starter kill then that could be your problem. Unwire the relay from the ignition switch wiring that the alarm relay is going to.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts