Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking out the kits from FJ, Ebay, Top Line and a few other companies. What I've been reading here while searching, is it's ok to use most of the gaskets, but some people use different head gaskets, rear main seals, oil pan gaskets(to name a few). Obviously its better to use OEM sets vs. some of these kits.

I will be building this Z6 for the Performer X kit(to be installed in roughly a year or so). I will be re-using the stock rods with ARP bolts(shot peened/polished and cyro-frozen), balanced crank/polished, ACL bearings, P28 pistons(75.5), stock head(maybe a mild p'n'p on the exhaust side), OEM water pump, OEM timing belt/tensioner.

Basiclly I want to keep it stock, but a small step above stock spec here and there for extra durability purposes. Yea I know I could build it stock and leave it as is and it'll be good, but why not improve a few things here and there since it'll be taken apart. I wont be getting a new car anytime soon, so I might as well do work and have it done right the first time. Right?

Since the mrs. and I will be expecting an addition to the family in about 8 months, I have to budget a little bit. I already have a 08 Maxima and a 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (which I might have to sell). We decided not to drop too much $$ here.

Anyways, back to the question at hand, What gasket kit or individual pieces would you suggest? All suggestions and recomendations are always helpful.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I usually get a full gasket kit off ebay for like $55 shipped. Then I save that off-brand for like a DD motor or if a friend needs one. I'd pick up a Fel-Pro or OEM for the HG. The rest of the seal are usually pretty good! No complaints from the 3 full sets I've purchased in the past.

·
Registered
05 GTO
85 Posts
I usually get a full gasket kit off ebay for like $55 shipped. Then I save that off-brand for like a DD motor or if a friend needs one. I'd pick up a Fel-Pro or OEM for the HG. The rest of the seal are usually pretty good! No complaints from the 3 full sets I've purchased in the past.
Yeah exactly. I used fel-pro from kragen for the HG. Worked great, even under boost! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to check the prices of the HG from auto parts places vs. my employee discount at Honda. I work for a dealership group that owns and Honda and Acura dealership. Just wonder what the cost difference would be.

Also, thanks for the response nemo 4321.

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
Don't use the FJ head gasket, trust me. All of your other parts though, FJ is nice to deal with!

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
I wouldn't even think of using anything but a oem HG.. especially if you get a discount..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the heads up Ryan89crx. I'll look in to it.

On a side note, my friend and I were wondering, when one ups the compression ratio from stock to 10.5 on up to 14 or whatever the comp # is, what are the typical hp gains per raised point to be expected? Is there a calculator online for this? I know there are probably alot of things to factor in here, just looking for a general idea.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Hatchaddict. I knew about that compression calculator. It's alot better than the c-speed one or whatever.

My friend and I know(or at least we think we do, lol) when you increase the compression you get a small bump in hp(kinda like increasing psi for a turbo). I wanted to know per increase compression = X hp.
For example the z6 is 9.2:1 and 125hp at 6600 rpm, what would the hp be at lets say 14.5:1?
Forgive my rambling..i'm at work and bored to tears..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts