Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well this is my very first post to dseries. I have been debating whether or not I should post a build thread or a thread to update my progress. I have been looking and getting very helpful ways to do things and looked up many of things when I have gotten stumped here and its great to have knowledgeable people that know what they are talking about when looking for an answer. So I decided since I have actually made some progress to post now.

Well first here is a little back ground on the car. I bought the car in June of last year. With 247k miles on it from an elderly lady. Biggest reason I got it was because it was cheap ($1500.00) and the body was amazing. One ding very very small by the driver door about the size of a quarter. But besides that body was straight. A completely unmolested Civic. Unfortunately I do not have pictures when I first bought her but I have really close to stock pictures. What I mean by that is that I put coilovers on her then I snapped some pics. Here she is on her last running day.

So down here in dallas in December we had an ice storm. With me working overnight when i got to work it was fine but when i got out it was covered as seen above. So I left her parked near my job. Unfortunately when I got to work the next day I discovered a towing warning. So in the attempt to move my car a block of ice hit my oil pan and shattered it.... -_-

Any way I was really debating on selling her or buying another civic... kicked it around until about the end of January when I started to read up on vitara builds and how much power they are making. And for me I thought it would be a pretty good build. So then it began

Here she is before dis-assembly.

Then began ordering parts.

Parts list so far
75.5mm vitara pistons
RC autoworks rods
GSP turbo kit (I know not the best and im probably going to get crap about it but its what I can afford right now)
Walboro 255 pump
Innovate lc2 wideband
Glow shift turbo gauge
Honda OEM Head gasket
ACL Race Bearings
Honda OEM Rear main seal
ARP head studs
Seperately bought a log mani
Steel braided lines to eliminate power steering
This is what is in the picture above

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After I recieved all the parts I pulled the motor out. Here are the pics the day the motor came out.

Then I took my block to a local machine shop that I have delt with in the past so I could get it bored/honed and resurfaced. As soon as he saw my block. He saw my main journals and said that I had spun a bearing and that there wasnt anything he could do. Here are the pics of that. Part here was talking about. Let me know what you guys think? Its the second one or the third form the bottom.

Either way the motor had alot of miles. So I was now in the look for a d16y8 block. Took me two weeks to finally get a good deal a found a d16y8 long block for 75 dollars on craigslist. Score!! Took it back to the machine shop and they said it was good!! Thats relief. But as soon as I dropped off the engine he asked about what im going to do with the head. I know I needed to do something with it but I was just going to give it the cold shoulder... I know I hate myself for it buttttt I said screw it went all out. So I ordered blox exh and intake Valves, blox dual springs, titanium retainers and stage 2 camshaft. I dont have any pictures of the head parts but I will post some when I get the head back ( still at the shop).

In the process of waiting for the block and head I decided to clean up the engine bay.

redid the wire harness and tucked it.

After the wire tuck I got really bothered by the holes that were left there so I filled them. I wanted to also remove the seams but this im not exactly sure how to do it so im just not going to deal with it right now.

This is in the process of filling the holes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Primered and tested the teal color.

Done filling holes and spraying the bay

In the process of painting the bay I also painted the sideskirt white.

And thats its for right now. I appreciate those who looked and actually took the time to read this. I will make sure to keep ya updated.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would take the block to couple other shops and get more opinions.

what exactly did the machinist tell you when he said he could not fix it?? I thought blocks can always be line bored if a main bearing spins... as long as the crank is not damaged.. whats the crank look like also??

Better pics of the block would help.. does it have groves where the bearings seat to the block? can you catch your finger nail on it? cause its hard to see any detail in the pic

Take it to another shop and see what they tell you.

Looks like your off in the right direction tho.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I appreciate it.

Sorry I will take better pics in the morning. His exact words were "oh man, ya that center main journal does not look like its going to be able to be fixed. I can attempt to line bore it but it would be too close for comfort."... there is a little nipple that is very lightly sticking out but enough to catch my nail on. This is why I took his word for it but I will definitely take better pics in the morning and post them.

Also on the crank, it looked Ok he said for the amount of miles my motor had that its all in pretty good shape. Im still getting it resurfaced just to ensure myself.

·
Registered
477 Posts
hmm I would take his word on the block but just to be sure have someone else check it out..

Don't tell the next shop anything the other guy said and see what there opinion is on it.

as for the crank your planning on getting it ground/resurfaced ?? if its OE spec just have it polished.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Damn im an idiot I missed in your post that you found a good y8 block on CL lol durp

I'm jealous of the head your building.. but to be honest i found a killer deal on a godspeed turbo kit but sold the turbo wastegate and bov and upgraded to all brand name stuff because i did not trust it but some people have good luck with them. as long as the turbos balanced and ran with an oil restrictor it should be ok i would think..

Good luck with your build

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks i have a question on your last post. You said to run a oil restrictor is there a reason why?

I will do some research too but just wanted to ask. On the head it was alot of deciding, but in the end i know its going to be well worth it. I have some other goodies that i already have but Im waiting to actually install them before i mention and post them.

Also ya the engine was a awesome deal to be honest i wanted the machine shop to find a block because i didnt want to run the risk of buying it and being SOL if it wasnt ok. but luckly the guy that i bought it from was willing to meet me at the machine shop to verify.

I actually ended up turning my old block into a table i will take pics of this also.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Good looking car, not sure about the teal, but I do love the color. That parts table looked rad, in for more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@whoshot
Awesome I appreciate it haha.

@dj justice
believe me I know how that can be. I used to live an apartments with no garages so we would get in trouble quite a bit. Lol but now having a garage makes things much much easier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The block table

let me know if you guys can see it because when I went through the mobile app I couldnt see it but when I come through the internet I can.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some of the parts that came in this morning I will post these because its going to be a little bit before I put them on.

knock sensor because I broke it removing my intake
Spoon sports mats and oil filler cap

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice build thread. Subscribed. And definitely looking to see what numbers your going to be hitting on the dyno... any goals in mind?

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's cool you found a good block and the guy met you at the shop just to make sure your not getting another F'd up one. It Sounds like you have a good/honest shop doing the machine work so thats good.

as for the oil restrictor for the turbo heres a few posts you can check out and decide for yourself... ebay turbos seem to blow seals very easy if they are ran on our motors without restrictors. Im sure others will chime in on the subject..

Does my turbo require an oil restrictor | Turbobygarrett

Turbo oil feed and drain tech. Do I need a restrictor or not?

I have a .065 restrictor on my PTE 3231e with a -3AN Oil feed and my turbo seems to be doing very well. No smoke ever..

This is a quote from greg at goautoworks from an e mail he sent me after i asked him about running a restrictor on my precision turbo.

"Our standard -3an Pro oil feed is what I would suggest; and is what we've used for years on every turbo Honda app. That we've dealt with. An oil restrictor is optional; since you are using a PTE turbo, I suggest running a restrictor on it due to the history/feedback we've had from them leaking/oil smoking. More importantly; I'd also suggest some type of block/crank case ventilation which excessive pressure there can also cause a turbo to smoke prematurely."

Thank you,

[email protected] GO-AUTOWORKS

This build reminds me of mine because i started with a Godspeed ebay kit.. The GSP turbo i had was balanced but it had in and out play so i ditched that piece of crap and went with the precision. Now the only thing im rockin from fleebay is the intercooler and piping lol.. A part of me wishes you where not using an ebay turbo with all the nice parts your putting on your motor but it is what it is lol you can always upgrade down the road..

Also you should upgrade to a better wastegate that cheap GSP china WG is going to be a bitch to tune cause they leak around the valve stem.. down the road the Diaphragm will rip and it will be a paper weight lol i had to put thread sealer on every bolt because i could hear air leaking from them lol mine was a POFS. Go tial and never look back.. I found a used 38mm for $60 and put a brand new diaphragm for $40

The bov will rip also if its a cheap fleebay one.. you don't want cheap parts compromising your nice motor if u ask me..

Dont get me wrong though some guys have good luck with fleebay turbos lol

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I don't run any restrictor on my -3an lines.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I don't run any restrictor on my -3an lines.
Ditto, but I don't think the lines that come with that kit are -3an. They are larger. I would suggest swapping them out with something better. I used a set of old Stealthmode lines, but you can get the same thing from one of the site sponcers.

Run the GSP parts until they break, or you have the extra cash to replace them. I have had no issues with the EMUSA turbo, wastegate, and BOV I am using, but maybe I'm just lucky.

From experience, take the wastegate apart and clean any metal shavings out of it, and put it back together making sure the diaphragm is seated properly. I noticed mine wasn't seated properly originally, and this is probably what causes other people to see tears.

Also, you will need to remove the larger of the 2 springs from the BOV. If you leave them both in it won't ever open. With just the one spring it will work fine.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Ditto, but I don't think the lines that come with that kit are -3an. They are larger. I would suggest swapping them out with something better. I used a set of old Stealthmode lines, but you can get the same thing from one of the site sponcers.

Run the GSP parts until they break, or you have the extra cash to replace them. I have had no issues with the EMUSA turbo, wastegate, and BOV I am using, but maybe I'm just lucky.

From experience, take the wastegate apart and clean any metal shavings out of it, and put it back together making sure the diaphragm is seated properly. I noticed mine wasn't seated properly originally, and this is probably what causes other people to see tears.

Also, you will need to remove the larger of the 2 springs from the BOV. If you leave them both in it won't ever open. With just the one spring it will work fine.

I've used EMUSA turbo last year it made good power and torque on my d16z6 even ran in the 11s with it. Return line is everything in these turbos. I would also double check the oil pressure while on boost if you end up not running a restrictor just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
477 Posts
balance seems to be the biggest issue with the cheap turbos. if they are off balance they will eat bearings fast.. its like building a motor with the internals unbalanced. yea it will work but for how long lol..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts