Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 RSX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well..i got a d15b7 for free from a friend, so i figured I would try a build. I've done some minor things with honda engines before, but I havent ever tinkered with a d series. I have already partially torn down the engine, and it looks like i might be able to get away with a ridge ream hone? I cant remember the proper term. Basically, there is a VERY small ridge at the top of the cylinders which i should be able to get rid of. Anyway, here is what I have in mind. If you see any flaws(part wont work in said engine, etc.) let me know. My goal is just to keep the build low budget.Yes i know reliable, cheap, and fast pick two. Wont be a daily, or get very many miles at all. Just want a track queen that i can smash on. The rsx is too expensive to mod, and i dont want to destroy its value by stripping out the interior. I dont care if this engine needs a rebuild twice a year. That being said, here is the list of what i'm thinking:

-b7 block
-micropolished crank
-king or acl main and rod bearings(thoughts on this appreciated)
-b7 shot peened rods
-d16a1 pistons
-d16a6 cam
-have block decked
-metal headgasket
-free z6 intake manifold
-b18 throttle body
-i/h/e
-will be tuned by carma performance out of nashville

if you have any criticism, keep it constructive. I admitted i'm new to this, but i want to learn. Power goal is 120whp. Shooting for compression ratio of 10.0:1 at least(i know it wont be that exactly.) Race gas is fine. Wont be a daily.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
why build all that wen you can get 118 whp with simple boltons, A6 CAM AND A z6 INTAKE?

My car was dynoed (not tuned) in Memphis in 1999.

A1 pistsons are a waste in a B7, mill the head .040 and be done, use a Y8 HG.

10.5:1 compression and can be ran on 87 pump gas.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
why build all that wen you can get 118 whp with simple boltons, A6 CAM AND A z6 INTAKE?

My car was dynoed (not tuned) in Memphis in 1999.

A1 pistsons are a waste in a B7, mill the head .040 and be done, use a Y8 HG.

10.5:1 compression and can be ran on 87 pump gas.
what he said. you wont need race gass till about 14:1 compression with these motors depending on the tune/piston. If you wanna step it up a little more go with a level 2 cam from bisimotor or an SR909 cam from exospeed.

·
Registered
06 RSX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well..

i just want to do a rebuild. I want to learn. Can i shoot for a better power goal then that? is 140 possible? transmission suggestions for this settup? Want cable, not hydro. Going in a gutted crx. i have the stock d15 5 speed, but is it the best. Once again, it was free too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Go with oversized PM3 pistons and mill the head to achieve desired compression, .040 is fine. 60mm TB will slow you down. Rod shotpeening is a waste of time and money.
Maybe ARP rod bolts when you're on it.

·
Registered
06 RSX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...

so i found a great deal on a set of new oversized zc pistons..would i run into any clearance issues from valve to piston if i milled the head .40 over...or would i have to do less of a mill job.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
dont bother with them in a d15, waste of time/money. get the PM3's and be done with it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts