Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This diagram is from bizzar's and vtecduck's diy on the catch can install.

i have an obx catch can....yeah i know obx sucks, but its a simple catch can and it was cheap so i bought it.......

anyways here are my questions:

- Can i eliminate the smaller catch can that comes from the small filter on the valve cover? I mean, what is it needed for? (does it NEED to be there to relieve crankcase pressure or will the main catch can be enough for a 300whp setup?)

- I just pulled my IM off tonight and i am getting ready to install a skunk2 IM. The stock pcv is a real bitch to get off of the IM.....so how do you remove it in order to run a longer line to the catch can?

- That little black box that the stock pcv valve runs to.......can i remove it if i install a catch can, or are other components using it for their operations? (it would be a ton easier to install the oil feed line with that out of the way.)

- With the filter im going to be running, i will be very limited with room. it will be running stratight off of the turbo, and the connecting flnge of the filter is only .675" long........i dont think thats long enough to get a good seal to the turbo and tap into with a barb to get vacuum......SO, can i just pull vaccum from my TunerToys vacuum manifold?

sorry if this is an old topic and brought up way too much.......well, i know it is brought up too much, but i dont want to have engine failure because i didnt relieve crankcase pressure, so i want to be sure i do it correctly.

thanks for any help you can give me!!!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is an example of what i am talking about in my first and last question.........

will it work like thi and still relieve crank pressure like its supposed to?

·
Banned
598 Posts
if the TT vacuum manifold is hooked to your intake then NO !!!
you never want to boost your crankcase
and you dont want to rely on a pcv/check valve to stop this
use your pre-turbo location for vaccuum source and your motor and brakes under boost will be happy...
ideally more vacuum for high boost...but...turbo's do not actually increase vacuum in front of the compressor wheel....
they reach a maximum and simply stop...which is less than ideal...but better than nothing...
ideally is an electric or mechanical variable vacuum source...
i've only seen them on american muscle...importers haven't caught on yet i think...
you can remove the black box...but you will catch more oil and need to drain the can more...
the tradeoff for having less gunk return to your oilpan (a good thing)

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
- Can i eliminate the smaller catch can that comes from the small filter on the valve cover? I mean, what is it needed for? (does it NEED to be there to relieve crankcase pressure or will the main catch can be enough for a 300whp setup?) You can tee both lines into the catchcan instead of running 2 cans. IMO, you need to have both sources connected to the can...

- I just pulled my IM off tonight and i am getting ready to install a skunk2 IM. The stock pcv is a real bitch to get off of the IM.....so how do you remove it in order to run a longer line to the catch can? Eliminate the PCV alltogether

- That little black box that the stock pcv valve runs to.......can i remove it if i install a catch can, or are other components using it for their operations? (it would be a ton easier to install the oil feed line with that out of the way.) Yes, remove it. the hole behind it is where you need to source the line that goes to the can

- With the filter im going to be running, i will be very limited with room. it will be running stratight off of the turbo, and the connecting flnge of the filter is only .675" long........i dont think thats long enough to get a good seal to the turbo and tap into with a barb to get vacuum......SO, can i just pull vaccum from my TunerToys vacuum manifold? NO, under boost it will pressurize the crankcase because that vacuum manifold will be pressurized. BAD idea!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I thought that you ran the line off the black box to the catch can. And then you ran a line from your filter intake to the catch can and that was it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The vacuum manifold has to be hooked up to the FPR, Brake Booster, Intake Manifold...

A catch can needs to be hooked up to the valve cover to catch gases trapped in there.

If you hook up the vacuum manifold to the intake manifold and then the catch can you'll have a vacuum leak!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Christ the more I read about catch cans the more confused I get lol. I thought I had the idea down but I am getting confused again. Sorry to thread jack.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so basically heres what i do.........I run a T connector that connects the valve cover breather, the original pcv valve loacation (which is behind the black box after i totally remove it), and the cath can. The i run the other remaining line fromthe catch can to a slash cut barb that goes into the turbo inlet filter?

something like this:

also, ryan, you say i totally eliminate the black box.......i dont just run the line from the black box to the catch can? sorry for asking, i just want to make sure i understand

thanks

·
Banned
598 Posts
you are well on your way...that looks good...
the black box is user option
it WILL effect how much gunk makes it to the can and how much returns to the oil pan

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when i slash cut the barb fitting, is there and specific angle that i need to cut it at?

also, how it is posted in the picture, is that how it is supposed to be inserted with the angled side facing the turbo?

thanks

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
also, ryan, you say i totally eliminate the black box.......i dont just run the line from the black box to the catch can? sorry for asking, i just want to make sure i understand

thanks
ya, there is a company that actually makes a plug for the b series motors. then they use a barbed fitting off b20s in the back of the block...

but thats b-series...

i would remove the black box and run a line directly to the catch can

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya, there is a company that actually makes a plug for the b series motors. then they use a barbed fitting off b20s in the back of the block...

but thats b-series...

i would remove the black box and run a line directly to the catch can
yeah, i just removed the black box from the block and there is about a 1/2 - 3/4" hole there that the black box plugs into and seals with an o-ring.

unless i buy an adapter or plug that you are talking about, i will have to use the black box, which is what i will probably do for now because my stuff is almost installed and i dont want to have to wait just for that.

But could ya help me out with my question above?

thanks

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
on stock pcv vents from the valve cover to the intake arm, the slash cut is facing away from the throttle body, so im guessing it needs to be facing away from the compressor wheel towards the air filter. a 60° angle should be good on the cut.
so it needs to be facing opposite the direction it is in the picture?

also, i just bought oil lines from the parts store......is it absolutely necessary that i use the little worm clamps to clamp the lines donw to on the t-fittting and everything, or will slipping them on work well enough without problems?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I think the slash cut should be how it is in the picture to creat vac when the air moves around it.

I would use the clamps just so stuff doesnt start falling off

Is it possible to just weld a nut onto the intake arm or do you need to have the slash cut to make vac?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts